• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back spacing with wheel adapters

Sknoch

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, first off, I have searched and am not finding a clear answer.

I have a 99 xj with 6.5" lift. I'm going with a set of 35x12.50-17 pitbull rockers The rims I want only offer 5x5 in a 17x9 rim and 3.5 or 4.5 backspacing.

Beings I will need wheel adapters, looking for advice on recommended adapters and backspacing for this combo. Any insight is truly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

any wheel spacer will work. people have issues... but i torque lug nuts with a torque wrench and have never had issues with wheel spacers. but i always prefer a 7075 material over a 6061. expect your wheel bearings to live a rough life.

or you could just get a different wheel.

I'm running 3.75"bs with a 1.25" spacer. Been on for about 5 years. Make sure everything is tight before you install the wheel, then recheck torque every 50 miles till it holds torque. I put 100 miles a day on this, a little extra wear on bearing and ball joints but nothing horrible. It falls in to the normal replacement of front end bushings. I'll live with it till I get wider axles.

Want different wheels.

Seems like a better solution. You will be paying a lot extra for the wheel spacers.
There are hundreds of wheel styles available, there must be something suitable that doesn't require making compromises.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking at the interco birddog rims and they don't come in 5x4.5 for the 17". they come in 3.5 or 4.5 backspacing. Trying to determine which one would be better if running wheel adapters with 12.50 tires.

IMO, wheel adaptor are something normally used when you already own a set of wheels that don't fit.
When buying new, it's best to get the right wheels upfront and avoid using adaptors, they have multiple possible failure points and cost a lot

For the tires you want to run, a total BS of 4" or 4-1/2" should work.

Interesting wheel, never seen them before. I did not know interco even made wheels. I will echo what has been said here. Pick a different wheel. Do not get wheel spacers to fit a wheel you have not already purchased. The answer to your question is 4.5" backspacing. With a 1.25" spacer that will be 3.25" bs, which is going to stick out far to much in my opinion.

1684050d1426015267-interco-birddogs-5x4-5-img_4950.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input. Since posting this and getting the response have gone in a new direction. Ordered a set of atx slabs and nitto mg's.

Back