• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid question

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
What years of fuel tanks fit a 1997? Im trying to get a used one, but all wreckers are only showing that 1997 was a different than 1996 or 1998?

Hum, Hollander (the parts catalogue system junk yards use ) does show 97 only. Doesn't meant it's right.
I think 96 is a oddball year and sits alone.

The pump, strainer, straps, lock ring should be the same 97-01

Filler neck show different 92-97

I don't know the answer but if it were me I'd take a gamble on 98-01. If those are the only options. A couple of eBay sellers list the tank as 97-01

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mopar part # 52100179 /52100179AD this is the 98-01
I can't find the part # for 97 (52100115 ? Maybe ?) but I'd think it's the same part physically unless it was metal

If there is a difference its likely to be the filler neck connections, maybe a different EVAP system?? I have a 1997 and 2001 and changed the fuel pumps in both. I don't remember 100% what if any thing was different. I know the pump and straps are the same.

I have a 97 and a 01 and have dropped the tanks on both, for new fuel pumps
The tanks are the same.

I'd almost bet the holllander interchange data came from Chrysler/jeep, and the 97s tank part number was superseded by the 98 up and it never got back to the parts interchange.

BTW I can't find aftermarket tanks, well there might be one supplier but they are like $800 . When i worked at a JY we rarely sold gas tanks and never shipped them because UPS had fits. But it was also in the south where we don't rust out the tanks either.

Just curious -- What's wrong with yours?

I ask because I've repaired holes in tanks on 2 different vehicles -- is this an option?

well...not sure if it is ill advised or not (so no one take my advice please) but I used this stuff called JB water weld and plugged the holes. Seems to be holding up fine so far. We will see how it goes.

Back