• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banks torque tube and down pipe??

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, Jeepers!

Sick and tierd of my manifold cracking, I'm considering doing a header install instead of replacing the old one with a OEM piece. I'm going to Los Angeles next month on a combined bussiness trip and one week vacation, so I thought I would buy a Banks torque tube and downpipe for my Cherokee. Only problem is this does not fit my 1988 4.0. My question is therefore how big of a problem is this? If I'm not entirely wrong I've heard they make headers made for the HO engine work on non-HO engines. Is this true? Has anyone used the Banks bownpipe on their Cherokee? Will this bolt right on the pre 91 XJ's?
I'm replacing the cat at the same time, having changed the rest of the exhaust systen this summer, so I'm thinking full exhaust makeover...

Thanks in advance!
Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

Arnt,

I'm not sure about the bolt up to the head but the rest will fit fine. The only thing you'll need for smog stuff, if you have that there, is a heat riser for the intake. This can be built with a piece of tube and a hose clamp. Someone more familiar with the head difference might speak up. I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern is ok it is just a port shape difference, I think.

mark
orgs mfg

The only difference is the EGR valve (which I am not running. you could have it drilled out I am sure and just run it like that.
I talked directly to banks and they checked it for me.
DIG IT

Summit Racing has a cheap model if you don't want to spend the big bucks

$180, comes with everything needed to do the swap.

The headders manufacture is Pace Setter.

I am happy with mine other then if you own a stock lifed cherokee the collector pipe hits the front driveshaft yoke. I had this problem and simply used a very big pry bar to persuade it out of the driveshafts terratory. I later fabed a bracket to help hold it away.

for the price, I was very happy with it. but if you get this one... you might wanna strip all the worthless paint off of it and spray it with the good stuff as the factory paint is only to detur rust during shipment and storage before install.

This has been a public service announcement. :angel:

Borla have a stainless steel header and downpipe for the '87-'90 4.0 XJ but it ain't cheap; $433 to be precise from Truck Performance. The Pacesetter is much cheaper but it isn't stainless steel. Since you live in Trondheim, the roads will be sprayed with salt for much of the year so stainless steel would be your best choice if you plan to keep your Jeep for a few more years.

http://www.truckperformance.com/pro...aders&sf1=JEEP&sf2=1988&sf3=Cherokee&sf4=4.0L

EVERYTHING i've heard second-hand about pacesetter has been very very bad...and borla is great, but over priced. same with banks. i;ve even had conversations with some of their tech guys....but way too much money.

i went with a 1 A Auto stainless steel replacement with flex baffles and a lifetime warranty. 160 bucks shipped and it's been the best "erformance" mod I've done. quietened everythign down, kicked up my MPG and gave me a lil oomph to boot.

--gabriel

Headers

gac_gonejeepin said:
EVERYTHING i've heard second-hand about pacesetter has been very very bad...and borla is great, but over priced. same with banks. i;ve even had conversations with some of their tech guys....but way too much money.

i went with a 1 A Auto stainless steel replacement with flex baffles and a lifetime warranty. 160 bucks shipped and it's been the best "erformance" mod I've done. quietened everythign down, kicked up my MPG and gave me a lil oomph to boot.

--gabriel

Never heard of 1A Auto SS replacement Headers, where did you get them?

BLUTO :)

Borla is by far the best to go with. With a little shoping you can get them for 325 to 250 easy and they replace everything up to the cat where the banks is just the manifold and the last i heard they didn't have a down pip for the XJ.I I've had mine since 97 and on 2 diffrent xjs and its great. If the rest of your motor is stock don't expect but maybe 10hp on and 88 but if you do a few other things while your at it the header will make more since it's flow ability is being used.

REDXJ4FUN said:
Borla is by far the best to go with. With a little shoping you can get them for 325 to 250 easy and they replace everything up to the cat where the banks is just the manifold and the last i heard they didn't have a down pip for the XJ.I I've had mine since 97 and on 2 diffrent xjs and its great. If the rest of your motor is stock don't expect but maybe 10hp on and 88 but if you do a few other things while your at it the header will make more since it's flow ability is being used.

Where can I get one for 325-250? Does the front driveshaft hit the downpipe at all?

there have been many people who run this setup with good luck the only differnce is a 2 piece flange if I can find the other thread with side to side pics its definately something to look into.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73552

I installed an APN (Auto Parts Network) Borla clone for $125 US shipped to Canada.
Excellent service, had it in 3 days, easy install and mated perfectly with my custom (2.5" no crush) downpipe done up by Midas. The header is beautiful, i would definitely purchase again.
The exhaust tone is deeper and all but eliminates the "drone" at speed.
There is a noticeable smoothness in power across the band and perhaps some performance gains as well, but definitely smoother.

Banks does not have a downpipe available for the XJ last time i looked.

HTH -B

I have heard good things about that header and I like the looks of it. I was just worried that the short downtubes might make for a power increase in the top end as opposed to the bottom end which is what I need (for wheeling).

CreativeSN said:
I have heard good things about that header and I like the looks of it. I was just worried that the short downtubes might make for a power increase in the top end as opposed to the bottom end which is what I need (for wheeling).

I agree, no worries on that. You definitely don't lose any low end torque i would say it's an even increase across the board.

Back