• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB vs OX (install)

redman

NAXJA Forum User
I have decided I need to learn how to set up gears. I currently have 4.10 and plan on buying some new axles and setting up 4.88 gears in the axles then swapping them. Therefore my DD Jeep will have minimal downtime. I have decided while I am in there I am going to install some selectable lockers. After copious amounts of research I am down to the ARB or OX. Both will be air actuated most likely from an ARB compressor. I have ruled out the Eaton E-Locker due to poor design for an 8.8. My question is not about the lockers themselves but which one is easier to install? Are they the similar to install? Is one easier? I know the ARB has more going on in the diff which leads to some trepidation.

both lockers should be pretty much plug and play, hook up and air source and go. gear setup will pretty much be the same on each.

i have an ox and use the cable setup. the included diff cover is stout. but as for air... i dont like how the actuator is a simple bolt on in place of the cable, its not in a great spot to begin with. if you want air, go ARB or zip (yukon).

Agreed, air solenoid on the back of the diff cover is begging to be smashed. Either go OX with cable, or go arb.

I'm in the same boat for my new project. On the arb's didn't they change the side the air actuator is on so the ring gear side carrier bearing is smaller than the factory size? Not sure I like the idea of a smaller bearing on the load side of the carrier, they are already too small, maybe I'm wrong. If so someone please inform me.

Agreed, air solenoid on the back of the diff cover is begging to be smashed. Either go OX with cable, or go arb.

I would check on that again. I dont believe ox has the solenoid mounted on the cover. I will be getting an ox for my jk44 and the diff covera for te cable and air actuation look i dentical.

This video shows the new design.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MogI4GrSYHw

The drive away lock feature is what sold it for me. I for 25 bucks you can screw in a manual adjuster incase of oba failure you will not be stuck without a locker.

Last edited:
I see, so it's just the air line getting smashed all the time...much better.

Looking at the back of my OX cover, and how mangled the cable is...I still see it as a failure point. I have to agree about the driveaway lock as a backup...solid idea. I might even pick one up incase my cable fails.

Yeah I like the drive away lock idea for the OX but do not like the air line coming out 1/2 up the diff cover. Was hoping one would be harder to install to help me make my decision. As of now I am leaning ARB unless OX has a good deal when I go to buy.

I had the air unit on my front Ox D30. My tie rod protected the air solenoid, so I never had any issue. The air setup on Ox is clearly superior to their electric option.

On the new D60, I'm going back to ARB.

David Bricker / SYR - ITO

Back