• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeeky Drum Brakes

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, thanks for helping me out on my previous posts. I was wondering is there anything that can be done on really nasty squeeking Rear Drum Brakes on a '90 loredo? The shoes should have some left on them, I checked them a few months ago. Thinking about pulling the drums off to take a look. Any suggestions? Also its been getting like 15 MPG. O2 sensor time or is this normal Fuel Mileage?

Thanks
Ethan

Squeaky drum brakes are usually caused by accumulated brake dust, first and foremost.

If the brakes are dusty, take off the drum and vacuum them out with a shop vac, or rinse them out with brake cleaner. (Don't blow them out, the dust is a health hazard.)

While you have the drums off, inspect the linings for cracks--another possible source of squeaking.

brakes

May be time for some new shoes,and make sure you check the drums for any score marks,if there are any the drums will hafta be turned.

Second that

Everytime we go wheeling I have to take the drums off and clean them up or they squeal like crazy. Even a few months of driving can wear your pads down quickly so check them asap.

If you turn the brakes, everytime, they get some scoring in there, the drums arn´t gonna last long. I´ve turned a few thousand break drums unnecessarily.
The best way to clean them, is soap (mild dishwashing soap) and water. Spray break cleaner for fluid leakage. A high pressure cleaner works also, but attention has to be paid to the dust boot over the wheel cylinder end, if any water gets behind it, it will cause trouble. A baby bottle brush to get to the hard places (behind the shoes, backing plate, around the axle seal) works well. Put a pan underneath and treat the runoff as semi hazardous waste (don´t throw it in the flowers). Soap and water gets rid of the dirt, sand and salt residue. Grease the adjusters and the shoe contact points.
Sand the shoes with 100 grit (coated) sand paper, lightly and the drums, sanding against the rotation (the narrow direction)( a cross pattern works well, 45 degress one direction/45 degress the other). This will help take off the high spots and promote even wear.
Easy on the brakes for a day or two, to prevent glazing.
The difference in the stopping of the brakes, between new, turned or treated this way, on the brake machine, is unnoticable on the readings. And all that metal you would have cut off, to get to a few low spots, is still there. 0.60 thousandths of wear over new and it´s time to toss them and get a new set.
Same technique works for discs, grease the rails or rods, some kind of vibration damping behind the pads is advisable, spray silicon brake membrane works for me. Copper or teflon inserts also work well, as does copper grease somewhat.
More than you ever wanted to know about washing brakes:D

Last edited:
Back