• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro assist Flatspot

racerxxxr

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

I had a Durango Gear box but wanted to to add Hydro assist so I picked up a 2001 stock XJ box at a gearbox, tapped it, rebuilt it and installed everything. After which the hydro assist works well but I have a big flat spot in the steering. When I turn the wheel the input shaft turns but the pitman arm does not for a bit. Any idea what I might have done wrong on the rebuild? All 24 balls were put back in order and I changed all the O-rings and seal that came in the kit.

Thanks

There is pretty much one thing that can cause a flat spot with a box. You didn't set the box up correctly. If there was a flat spot, you should have seen it out during the setup. Where did you get the box? The question becomes, you said there was a flat spot because the pitman arm doesn't start to move. How did you tell this. did you look directly at the box or are you basing that on what you see when driving?

Back