• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arm Upgrade/ Need Shocks

jwhitt72

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 XJ with about 5 inches of lift and 33x12.5 tires. I just performed an axle swap and installed a RC long arm upgrade kit to it. What length shocks do you recommend running? Not able to flex it at the moment to get the proper measurement.

if you had the tools laying around to swap an axle you can definitely droop and compress the axle. itll take you longer to remove the tires and springs than it will to take the physical measurements, half to an hour job maybe.

or just go with what ever is advertised for 5" of lift.

I have the same lift (only with RE springs and leafs 3.5" springs with a 1.5" lift block up front and RE 1.25" exteded shackles with an 8.8 diff) but I use the RC long arm like you. I went with Bilstein 5160 shocks for a TJ which are ~26.7" extended and ~15.5" compressed (in the front) with RE 2" extensions for the bump stops. My rears are Bilstein 5160's for a JK which are 27.5" extended and 16.8" compressed with 5" bump stops.

I get no bottoming out front or rear. The rear has ~3/4 left to go on the down travel when i put it on a lift and the front shocks are the limiters on the front down-travel (don't jump it so haven't needed limiting straps yet). The shocks ride about in the middle while resting no-load and a full tank (my tank holds 32 gal).

Hope this helps, I did a lot of measuring and research.

Back