• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep will not start when key is turned.

More info about your heep would be very helpful. Ign module could be failing.

If you can turn the key it's likely NOT the lock cyl.

But you need to be more descriptive in order for anyone to help.

1999 XJ limited.
Key turns. Power is supplied to all components (lights, locks, blower motors etc).

Engine won't try to cycle at all when fully turned. It's almost like I have to put in the correct spot or just get lucky.

What other info do you need? Glad to supply, and thanks a ton for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycle? You mean it does not crank?

That is likely the starter going bad.

Or the NSS already mentioned (wiggle the shifter, or try to start it in Neutral) needs the contacts cleaned.

Cycle? You mean it does not crank?

Nothing happens at all. As if I'm not turning the key at all. I'll turn the key back to position 1 and turn back all the way forward again, nothing... (Repeat maybe 10-15 times) before it even tries to crank.

Once it actually cranks, it starts up strong. Not a starter issue, I don't think.

Re: contacts need cleaning

Where so I find these contacts?

From the symptom described, the most common and most likely issue is that the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) needs adjusting, cleaning, or replacement. If wiggling the shifter lever in Park and/or Neutral makes it start with fewer tries, the NSS is the problem. Start troubleshooting by adjusting the NSS.

The starter is just fine.

Just read a write up on NSS symptoms and how to fix it. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction! I'll let you know if this was in fact the case.

Although I'm in FL, the Jeep is from MA, so corrosion is most likely the culprit.

Yep, I would suggest a go at your NSS. The posts you read should also cover bypassing it to help diagnose the issue.

Post back on your progress.

I recently had this issue and had to take the wires off my starter and clean them. After that no issues for a few months. Now I need to give the starter a little tap now and again.

Most common issues.

Starter brushes don't last forever. When they are almost completely worn out starting/cranking can get iffy.

Loose or corroded battery clamps. Clean them shinny clean, make sure they are tight, but don't over tighten them. If you overtighten them you can crack the battery clamp. I use brake cleaner, then sand paper or a 3M pad, spray again. The battery poles and the inside of the clamps.

Block ground. Follow the negative (black) cable down to the block and check the bolt.

Neural safety switch. A quick test is try a start in neutral or wiggle the shiftier a little in park. Either dirt in the neutral safety switch or the cable adjustment is off.

Less likely but.... The last starter change "whomever" didn't tighten the cables down tight. Or your battery cables are rotten.

Look at your starter. You'll see two big posts and one small one. One big post comes from your battery. The small one comes from the starter circuit, energized by the key. Make sure the key is OFF and out of the column. Jeep is in Park, or neutral.

Now crawl on your back until you can access the starter and use a small jumper to connect the big post from the battery to the little post. Note, there may be a boot protecting the connections. DO NOT JUMP the two large terminals.

Your starter should crank and turn over the engine. Repeat a few times. You have just bypassed everything else in the start sequence and have verified your battery, battery cables and starter are OK.

If it doesn't, you have narrowed the issue to the same components.

You guys are smart... I wiggled the gear selector and it didn't help... but I still have my NSS 50% off. Had to call it quits last night.

Once I clean/reassemble, I'll see if it fixes my issue then test other components.

Back