• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp gauge

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
I think my guage in the instrument cluster is bad. Is there somewhere I can find a replacement? I'd rather not put an aftermarket screwed to the dash. What are my options? Thanks.

What year, make and model????? These problems are rarely the gauge, they are usually a bad or POS aftermarket sensor, or bad wiring or contact on the sensor connector, or a ground problem.

It an 89 renix 4.0. . When i start the jeep it will get to operating temp and the gauge will just keep going till it pegs out. My wifes yj did the same thing and it ended up being a bad gauge. Its almost 30 years old. Everyone told me that the gauge being bad was really unlikely then too and i was scratching my head for a week. I buy the oem senders. I dont use the auto zone stuff.

Let us know what finally fixes it.

Did you clean the male and female threads so the sensor actually grounds to the block? (no Teflon paste or tape).

I have yet to get a good gauge sensor from AZ.

QUOTE=bails85;246433291]It an 89 renix 4.0. . When i start the jeep it will get to operating temp and the gauge will just keep going till it pegs out. My wifes yj did the same thing and it ended up being a bad gauge. Its almost 30 years old. Everyone told me that the gauge being bad was really unlikely then too and i was scratching my head for a week. I buy the oem senders. I dont use the auto zone stuff.[/QUOTE]

Well i tried the test and it seems the gauge is bad. So question is... where can i find a replacement? Ive tried searching and no luck. I really dont want to install aftermarket gauges if there is a stock replacement. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Well i tried the test and it seems the gauge is bad. So question is... where can i find a replacement? Ive tried searching and no luck. I really dont want to install aftermarket gauges if there is a stock replacement. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Just get an entire gauge assy from a junk yard.

You have me wondering if mine are all bad gauges?

But Cruiser54 and 5-90 preach about ground issues. Have you checked that the gauge and block grounds are good? Less than 1 ohm???

i would also have to agree with it being a grounding issue. personally my voltage gauge tends to drift below the 14v mark the longer the jeep runs. but the output really stays the same.

Cruiser54 's site says there is a dash gauge ground..... that I still need to service some day on all of mine.

Is it that unlikely that i have a bad gauge? I have not pulled the cluster yet. Is there anything to look for when i do? All my other gauges work perfectly. This seem to be the only one im having trouble with. Are there any common fixes that i should try before changing the gauge? Bad contact point, bad grounds, etc. I simply just dont know where to look.

Is it that unlikely that i have a bad gauge? I have not pulled the cluster yet. Is there anything to look for when i do? All my other gauges work perfectly. This seem to be the only one im having trouble with. Are there any common fixes that i should try before changing the gauge? Bad contact point, bad grounds, etc. I simply just dont know where to look.

Nothing common about gauge failure.

Get a FSM and follow the diagnostic procedure?

Back