• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 MJ belt alignment

RynoMJ

NAXJA Forum User
I had replaced my power steering pump a few weeks ago but never really ran it. The belt was squeaking and slipping off at the water pump. I noticed the harmonic balancer was starting to deteriorate and figured this would cure all the problems.

Squeak is gone but the belt is still slipping off at the water pump. Ive narrowed it down to the only other obvious thing which would be the power steering pump, but the pulley appears to be on all the way (flush with the shaft) but there does look like a gap behind it. Pump is a PSC (for hydro Assist)

Any thoughts?

5E8E2AE8-D145-4828-8219-08DB664E8AF1_zpsswmfdr6i.jpg

04D93C5C-9D57-44DE-B6E8-CC94F2E1629D_zpsseuxkpmm.jpg

3E5286C6-9E2C-4255-BBCD-7312966BDFB4_zpsbj7rynso.jpg

A year or so ago I replaced th P/S pumps on both my Jeeps. One 1990 4.0L XJ and one 1988 4.0L MJ. Same pump for both, same hoses. I reused both pulleys. Both were slightly different (one spoked, one solid).
They were the same exact diameter and width.

BUT, the XJ pulley mounted flush with the end of the spindle, the MJ pulley mounted about 1/4" inboard of the tip of the spindle...aka...they were that way when I pulled them off, and I mounted them just like they were when I pulled them off.

Depending on which direction they're slipping off, I'd adjust it there.

A year or so ago I replaced th P/S pumps on both my Jeeps. One 1990 4.0L XJ and one 1988 4.0L MJ. Same pump for both, same hoses. I reused both pulleys. Both were slightly different (one spoked, one solid).
They were the same exact diameter and width.

BUT, the XJ pulley mounted flush with the end of the spindle, the MJ pulley mounted about 1/4" inboard of the tip of the spindle...aka...they were that way when I pulled them off, and I mounted them just like they were when I pulled them off.

Depending on which direction they're slipping off, I'd adjust it there.

This would make perfect sense then! Thank you for the info I'll give it a shot this weekend!

Back