• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Slider mounting

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up some rock sliders, and am looking at ways to mount them. Nothing too special, and I didn't really buy them for rocks but other damage to the rockers. My XJ is mainly to get me to work no matter what the weather condition and the occasional trip through the woods and the beach. For me, its reliability and protection. If I break it hard, then I cant get to work when I get called in for emergencies.

So... basic sliders, bolt to pinch seams and to the unibody rails. I know welding is a superior method, but I want to be able to pull these off should the occasion arise. Rather than the self tapping bolts, I was considering using nutserts. on the frame. Any opinions on using them vs self tapers?

While it will be a lot of work, nutserts will work fine.

Bolt to pinch seams and to the unibody rails using whatever works for you. Nutserts are more elegant, but not necessary.

I built my own rails and use nuts/bolts/self-tappers.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I used nutserts for the skid plate. They should be fine for the rock rails.

Nutserts are great. Get a decent install tool. Some of the good ones are rated to work with grade 8 hardware. I always use some anti-sieze on the threads.

Nutserts are great. Get a decent install tool. Some of the good ones are rated to work with grade 8 hardware. I always use some anti-sieze on the threads.

Which one did you buy? I am going to be hanging factory running boards, front and TC skid plates in the spring. She is just a DD. Was thinking about this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TODXQW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_20?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And this so I could use 3/8" Grade 8 hardware if necessary:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F9A4PHE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_21?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

That should work fine. Looks alot like the smittybilt one, the smittybilt one came with all the mandrels that would fit the commonly used sizes on the jeeps. Even had the 3/8" and a m12.

Just checked my tool. The sb comes with m10 as the largest not a m12. I wouldn't want to use a hand one for m12.

Also make sure you get the correct grip range Nutserts for your material. I normally use the long m10 ones from McMaster.

Just checked my tool. The sb comes with m10 as the largest not a m12. I wouldn't want to use a hand one for m12.

Also make sure you get the correct grip range Nutserts for your material. I normally use the long m10 ones from McMaster.

I am going to most likely use SAE sizes for the hardware. I work in a auto parts store and we sell Grade 8 nuts and bolts. Just easier to buy them there. We do not sell Class 10.9 hardware. Not sure what size bolts I am going to use and where but figure buy the 3/8" mandrel just to keep my options open for when I do get to the job. That is another thing I need to get a handle on. Most holes for what I want to do are already there. So I have to figure out what the proper size rivnut would be for those holes. Also have to figure out what size I need for the couple holes I have to drill and then make sure I do get the correct grip range as you pointed out for everything. Would like to try to do this right the first time. My thinking is research. I just have to school myself as best I can about this stuff and hopefully everything will come out right.

Last edited:
Back