• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

less common dead battery issue

Unsuperman

NAXJA Forum User
Hello.
I have had my 96 XJ for some time. in the last few months i have having dead battery issues. I read all sorts of threads on parasitic (how ever you spell it) draws and tests to figure it out. I used a 12v light and ran from the positive cable to the light, to the battery and found i had a draw. Turned out it was the glove light and when removed my draw went away.

well over the past few months AFTER resolving the draw from the glove box light the jeep would still randomly die over night.

some examples. In the warmer summer months i would drive it all week, and one day come out and find it nearly dead or completely dead. I would jump it off my s2000, drive it a little and turn it off, it would then start up next time i needed it. weeks would go by and randomly it would be dead again. 3 weeks ago i went on vacation and it sat for 7 days. started right up when i got home. Last night i drove it to the store and home, it was fine. this morning, completely dead.

there is no reasoning behind when or why it dies.

ideas? i would prefer not to throw a 130$ battery at it when there may be other issues...

if the battery dropped to 0v its never the same after that. i have a battery that will charge up fine but if i leave it over night its dead. swapped another good battery in and its been fine for 2 weeks so far. and most of that was sitting in the cold driveway.

but i just don't understand the irregularity of when it dies. i know electrical doesn't always make sense. but a few weeks ago it sat for a week and fired up.

ill check the year on the battery but i don't think its that old.

it loses its capacity once it dies down. and then only ends up with a "surface charge" it will show 12 ish volts but drops right down with any load. bring it over to autozone and have it load checked.

I'm taking it to auto zone after work and ill have them run the alt too. figures we JUST got into snow season. had to drive my s2000 to work in 2 inches of snow lol
and my garage is taken up with 3 motorcycles. looks like ill be working on it outside if i need to swap stuff.

i feel your pain. i have a blown motor in my jeep and i went to work with a 300zx in about 2 inches of snow too. 1st gear was useless. some of my starts i had to use 3rd

Back