• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower control arm change question

blu3fan

NAXJA Forum User
When changing lower control arms and upper control arms.
If I do them one at a time, Do I need to support the vehicle. ? Or can I just do them one by one
92 xj 4dr

You can even do one whole side, just block the wheels!

You can do them one at a time. The upper control arms only have bushings in one side. The other end is pressed into the axle. I recommend O'Reilly's Master Pro K3128 for the ones that get pressed into the axle (or MOOG, but the O'Reilly's are usually cheaper and the same bushing) and MOOG control arms for the others. These are all Clevite bushings.

The NAPA control arms and bushings are Chinese junk, and the O'Reilly's control arms appear to be Chinese junk too. When I was pressing in a NAPA bushing the ring on the bushing snapped off....

Honestly. I have the worst driveline wobbles. All 8 of the bushings do not look too great. and they are the last things I have to change.
I bought A cheap set of built control arms with bushings installed on 6 sides. *not the ones pressed into the axle*
for $40 Mind you.
So my plan is to take these. install them. and then take my original ones and upgrade to energy suspension poly bushings. * Yes I have read the reviews*
then swap everything back when I do the upper axle bushings.

The original control arms are minutely thicker than the new ones so I decided to do it this way so I am not out a car if things go wrong lol

Back