• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking of buying '97 fleet xj

cult colt

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't gone to look at it yet. Was owned by city of Mansfield, Texas. I don't think it's the police version. 2wd , 6cyl. auto, 112k . Asking $3500. Any thoughts on what to look ,for options it might have etc? Thanks for your advice.

Hard to guess. It may be a stripper version with vinyl seats and a plastic floor. Some fleet vehicles got the extended idle switches. I'd also check the axles and gearing. Some fleet vehicles came with a stronger axles (D44) and/or deeper gearing. Possibly has a fuel tank skid plate - but being a 2wd that could be a long shot.

Depending what they used it for, check also for holes they may have drilled in the body/floor for lights, antennas, communications, etc.

Kelly Blue Book shows a private party sale in good condition for a base model 2wd to be closer to $2000. For reference, I got an '01 60th Anniversary model 4x4 with 125000 for $4500. $3500 seems really steep to me for that - assuming stripper model.

Last edited:
No Dana 44's were installed after 1988/89. Deeper gears are unlikely as well.

My 1998 .gov Cherokee is equipped like a Sport, with cloth seats and power windows/mirrors, and A/C. It has a Limited Slip, tow hooks, and skid plates. The only down grades are no luggage rack and the base AM/FM radio with only two speakers. The deluxe XJ am/fm/cd radio and two rear speakers were plug and play.

4x4 is also plug and play.

Last edited:
Rust free, fleet maintained, and only 112,000 miles ? I would buy it in a second, and resell it in road salt country for $5,000.

Back