• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No spark after auto trans swap

aeroman73

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, this is my first post to NAXJA so bear with me a bit. I have a 96 xj 4wd auto transmission. Recently, transmission went out so decided to swap it. Got the new one in and went to start the jeep up and it ran super rough (not realizing we forgot to plug the last spark plug wire in after we got all the harnesses plugged in). While running rough we tried putting into gear and the jeep stalled and wouldn't start again after that. So far i have tested resistance with the cps and that is good however doesn't mean the cps is ok. replaced the coil and that did not fix it. I'm wondering if i killed the ecu when i put it into gear and stalled. We also used an electrical tester on the plug to the coil and it seems the power to the coil is intermittent. When i turn the ignition on we get power to the plug for about 2 seconds then no more power even when cranking. Anyone have any idea what to do or try? Should i just buy a new ecu and cps? Thanks in advance

Alright, replaced the CPS and she fired right up. Thank you for that. Now however, i took it for a drive down the road to test it and when i got up to about 10 to 15 mph its started bogging down and stalled . I would start it up and it would run really rough until it popped the 30 amp fuse under the hood and stopped starting. I'll replace that but any idea on the bogging and rough running?

I bought a bwd from oreillys, si i assume chinese. Also i did notice later yesterday that i could start the jeep in any gear. Would the nss create bogging and stalling?

nss wont create stalling but could later cause issues of no starter operation. i would double check harness's for any damage to them. are you getting any codes from the computer?

Only use genuine Jeep engine sensors. The NSS will have no effect on the engine running smooth or not. Look for loose ground connections, and chafed or melted wire insulation. Bogging and stalling suggest O2 sensor issues, O2 sensor wire plug or wire harness issues. Test the O2 sensors.

Back