• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 heater question

ljobbins

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So my heater/blower proportionately loses power when I push on the gas. Idling and letting off the gas to coast the heater blows hot and strong. When I give it gas the heater doesn't blow at all. And this is proportionate to amount of gas I give it. Help! I'm a baby when it comes to cold mornings. -Luke

Does it switch to the defrost vents?

I have had this problem many times, it has always been a vacuum leak on the old vacuum tubing going into the firewall that feeds vacuum to the HVAC controls. Look at the Vac tubing near the firewall, passenger side where the heater hoses and the AC hoses attach at the firewall. The tubing gets very brittle in that area.

so the grounds are solid and the vacuum is solid to the firewall. how much vacuum line is behind the firewall into the cab? maybe there is a leak behind it? i was kinda leaning toward vacuum leak in the first place based on the correlation with gas applied.

Have you checked your vacumm reservoir for cracks?

Which one is the canister? The little ball for hvac behind the bumper or the main vacuum thing next to the oil filter that has the fuel vacuum attached?

Which one is the canister?.

The little ball for hvac behind the bumper is THE VACUUM STORAGE for everything.

"the main vacuum thing next to the oil filter that has the fuel vacuum attached?"

Is not a vacuum bottle as such

it is a carbon canister for adsorbing and desorbing gasoline vapors only.
When the engine is off it captures gas vapors when the gas heats up on summer days, then when the engine is running it desorbs the gas into the intake.

Vac%20ball%20routing_zpss4v0kshh.jpg

Most likely vacuum. It will feel like blower is cutting out because it stops blowing through the vent and starts blowing through the defrost. It also matches his description of working properly at high vacuum (idling) but not under load. OP can test by holding a hand over the defrost while going uphill, if blower output redirects up there its a vacuum problem

Back