• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple last questions before I dig in

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Installing a trans cooler onto a '96 XJ 4.0 w/ AW-4 transmission, and in trying to identify which trans line is which I started the engine from cold, pulled it up against a wall and let it rest there in drive, and felt which line got hot first. Although both got warm together it seems like the top line, or the one entering toward the front of the transmission, got hotter. So I would assume that one is the return, and the other ending further back on the transmission is the out. Does that sound right?

Second, most accounts of installing this cooler advise placing it directly in front of the full time fan. Sounds logical. But just now I read an account of that installation position causing someone's engine temp to begin to rise too high, I would assume because of the restricted airflow. Is anyone else seeing this engine temp problem after doing the same install? Should I consider installing it further over toward the center?

And last I'll be doing a simple splice into the soft part of the return line w/ a brass barb. Any advice on routing the lines from there to the cooler?

Here is how I set mine up and I've had it installed for years with no issues.

IMG_0194.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Back