• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked radiator. Suggestions for replacement?

nmerrion93

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm hunting around online and looked at Napa Auto that has one for $95 (# NR 2802) and Quadratec has a few ranging from their cheapest at $63 and a more expensive OMIX-ADA radiator for $180. What's the real difference between these radiators? they all seem to have the plastic tank/aluminum core but the $180 OMIX-ADA one is the only one that states that it has the transmission cooler provision. What would be my best choice here?

Best choice is spend the money on Mopar HD radiator. You can get a pretty good price from rockauto.com, maybe a local dealer will price match. Still expensive but its the best thing

The only other option is an all brass/copper radiator if your year model has an aftermarket one available.

Make sure you do not have an engine problem like a head gasket leak, and replace the T-Stat for sure before you spend good money on a good radiator.

I got a Crown replacement awhile back. I needed my XJ and it was the only option for an overnight delivery. It was made in Taiwan, it is really heavy and looks like a clunky design, but has lasted well. All of it seems kind of heavy duty, though it does have plastic end tanks. When I say heavy, I mean almost double of normal, this sucker is a brick.

I don't know if it was a short lived item or it is still available? Never saw one before or after I got mine. I tried to back track the part numbers so if I every need another I can get one, no luck.

The only down side is the packaging, the filler neck presses tight against the box. The first one I got had a cracked/broken filler neck. The packaging wasn't designed to be UPS resistant.

The price was right, around a hundred bucks. Less than half the price of my last Modine radiator.

If the NAPA radiator says made in Taiwan and weighs a ton, it is likely the same as what I have. Check the filler neck and go for it. Been my experience price doesn't count for a lot with radiators, some of my most expensive replacements died young.

I haven't tried the MOPAR HD.

Last edited:
The Spectra ones are your lost cost option, about $100 with lifetime warranty from Advance, Auto Zone, etc. If you want to spend more go for the Mopar.

When my oem radiator end tank cracked after 219K miles, I needed a new radiator yesterday, so I went with the readily available Spectra CU1193. Amazon has it at the moment for $74 with Prime shipping. Year and a half later it's still going. I was worried about it, but I was impressed with the fit/finish out of the box. No temperature problems. If I wasn't in such a hurry, I would have gone with a new oem unit.

I had one made by Chrysler I got from the dealership in 2005 and lasted up til this year (mind you I lived on the beach most of the time) and it has 300k on it. Recently it developed a small leak and it decided to do this in the evening and I had work early the next day. I purchased a radiator from advance auto in and it has worked fine. Keeps it cool in all conditions. If you are in a pinch or cant find a good price I would say it's worth a shot.

Back