• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What front clip/header panel do I have?

taylorm

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm new here and I'm hoping a XJ guru will be able to help me out with this. I "inherited" a front clip off an XJ of unknown origins and now I'm struggling to find a matching set of headlight bezels to fit it.

The bezels off my original front clip from my '96 XJ don't fit. I tried an earlier style I believe for an '89 with no luck (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQ95LO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I also tried a set off a '93 XJ but I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same as my '96. It's obvious that the clip is the older style pre '97, so what other years am I missing?

Here's what I know about the clip.
  • It has the "bolt on" emblem letters as opposed to the stick-on ones like my '96 clip has
  • It has two tabs that sit above the headlight
  • It has two raised sections on where the bezel mounts on the side (see pictures)

Picture of the two tabs above the headlight:
IMG_1299.jpg

Picture of the raised mounts on the side:
IMG_1300.jpg

This has got me stumped...and I'm sure Amazon is going to find a way to punish me if I keep returning everything I buy from them. :banghead:

I know I could just source another clip, but I just painted this thing to match the rest of my XJ paint job, so I'd really rather not have to source another clip and repaint it.

Any thoughts on what this clip might be and what bezel it needs or ideas on how I can find out??

Last edited:
looks like 92-95 to me. (the front part (grille headlight mount and front part of the hood)) if your talking about the pictures.

That's what I thought, but I have a '93 XJ to compare to and they are not the same.

Here's the two tabs I was talking about:

96_Front_XJ.png

That are not on the '93 XJ:

93_XJ_Front.png

And here's the side profile of the two which are not the same:

Comparison_of_sides.png

It's mainly that lower section which is raised up on my current clip compared to the '93/'96 XJ's that's keeping the headlight bezel from fitting.

From these pictures, can anyone for sure tell what year(s) XJ would have a headlight bezel to fit this clip?

looks like it could be from a 87-90 but the headlight bezel does not contain the trim piece that is above the grill in that picture. it was a separate piece that ran the length of the header.

Back