• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Runaway XJ!

XJDaiseelady

NAXJA Forum User
Good morning fellow xj/mJ people of the land

I Could really use some help!

I have a 2000 jeep Cherokee, 4.0 automatic with cruise control.
Recently did a head swap & oil pump and oil pan gasket and all that fun!

Haven't been able to drive it because of this one crazy annoying issue...

So here goes:

Basically any time I hit the gas via the pedal or throttle itself, my jeeps rpms sky rocket and hold for about 3-6 seconds depending how hard I blip the gas.
For example- I barely touched the pedal with my big toe and it went up past 2,000 rpms. (I was told 700 is normal at idle??)
The thing wants to take off! (Maybe she has dreams of being a race jeep that I'm not aware of? Lol )

Anyway- here's what I've done

Adjusted trans kickdown cable, changed throttle body, replaced the iac, map & tps..checked all the hose connections to the air intake, checked the bolts on the intake and sprayed carb clean and no change in Rpms.

The thing runs ok at idle, just under 1,000 rpm

So I'm wondering what else I can check to get my jeep on the road.

(Most of the replacement parts are from my previous 01, so I am pretty confident everything worked until i disassembled her)

I am really wondering if the cc is what's causing this issue? O2 sensors? Computer maybe?? The battery was def not connected while doing all this work..

I'm really at a loss folks.

Thank you in advance, Daisee

So, with the engine running and the hood open, try 'blipping" the throttle, at the throttle body, and see if the lever immediately returns its stop or if it slowly returns.
The Throttle body could be dirty, with the throttle body shaft sticky.
There could be problem with the cruise control so try disconnecting its cable from the throttle body, so it has no influence.

How does it drive in gear?

I guess I jumped the gun on this post.

I found the problem. Vacuum leak where the intake manifold connects to the rear ccv valve line.
The rubber around the base of the hose was split up the back. A couple clamps here and there on some other connections ,computer clear and she runs pretty darn good now!

Back