• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Trax no-slip????

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
So last night I started on the tear down of my C8.25 for my KJ brake swap. Anyway it took "a very long time" to get my locker out, all the "saddle" springs were broke and the "inner/outer" set were all damaged(bent). What would have caused it? I had to put in a emergency order for a rebuild kit so it will be here today!

What would have caused it?!

when your put the locker back in grab the pinion and rotate it. you should see an increase in backlash. normal, as this is how the locker operates.

but i think that shock load of the cross shaft banging into the side gears to lock them up is quite violent... i know the drive line shock between shifts with a manual is... id guess thats what broke parts.

when your put the locker back in grab the pinion and rotate it. you should see an increase in backlash. normal, as this is how the locker operates.

but i think that shock load of the cross shaft banging into the side gears to lock them up is quite violent... i know the drive line shock between shifts with a manual is... id guess thats what broke parts.

Not sure what your trying to say, backlash is backlash regardless of what type of diff you have?

I'm hoping it's just wear/tear on the locker. It's been flawless in operation since I put it in 16yrs ago! The locker itself shows no signs on wear, the syncro rings are not broken or worn.
I have a auto so the shifting is pretty gentle.

so... i know the no slip is supposed to be the quietest/smoothest of the lunchbox lockers. and i agree, that backlash is backlash in terms of how the gears mesh... but just by how the lunchbox works, the cross shaft has to apply pressure to the inner gears (i said side gears before) to keep them from "ratcheting" on the side gears, and differentiating. this manifest itself in increased "backlash" in the pinion.

going off throttle, shifting, and then back on throttle destroyed my last lunchbox.

but after 16 years you have a few broken springs or pins? i would say that is a pretty good service life.

I consider lunchbox locker springs and pins a normal maintenance item that get replaced when they don't function right, they are worn/damaged,
or when the springs appear shorter than normal.

Order two spring/pin kits and carry one as a spare part.

Well I received the rebuild kit yesterday and the install went great with everything working as usual!

Back