• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattling, almost whistling sound with slight throttle

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
On my 96 auto, 231 etc. I'm getting an odd rattling sound.
It only happens when warmed up and in drive when I feather the pedal above idle to about 14-1500 rpms then it's gone.
It sounds sorta like a fan blade barely hitting something with what could be described as either a faint whistle or squeal, almost like the way a home fan sounds when its bearings are dry. Kind of a slight "grating/grind" but faint. The rattle sound is more prominent with the other noise being its background, if that makes sense.

The sound does not increase with rpms. It is a constant speed until it fades away. I can sometimes get it do do it in Park, but rarely.

My upgraded mech fan is not hitting its shroud, and is nowhere near the radiator (moved rad forward quite a bit and it's mounted solid).
It has at least 3/4 inch clearance from anything near it. Block brackets and mounts are tight and good. The HB is fine and at least a 1/16 inch from the motor.
Trans mount is new and good.
Cat is one year old, and I smacked on it with a rubber mallet a while with no noise (jeep off not running).

I did severely overtighten my belt when I did my water pump a few months ago and loosened it a couple weeks ago to proper spec. I may have damaged my water pump pulley having the belt too tight, but I know what a bad pump bearing sounds like (i've killed 3) and it sounds nothing like what I"m hearing.

Weirdest is that the sound does not increase in speed at all in relation to the rpms or speed. I think it's coming from the front, my brother said it sounds like more in the middle. His ears aren't the best though and I can't make it happen outside the car.

Thoughts?

I assume a loose flexplate or exhaust/intake manifold bolt would make a noise consistent with rpms, so ruled it out. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Last edited:
Just pulled the belt, and all pulleys are good. The water pump is a bit stressed and makes a faint sound when turned (likely from a couple months too much tension lol), but no wobble or any deflection that would move its blades against the housing and rattle or anything.

Did you start it with the belt off? Might be time to invest in a mechanic stethoscope to help isolate the noise. You can also remove the tip from the hose to hear sounds differently, especially air/exhaust leaks.

No, but the noise doesn't change with rpm and it only does it in D or N. Only once in park.
To be clear the sound is more of a rattling screech, but faint.

Back