• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge and dash lights won't turn off

1989 XJ 4.0 limited auto
Gauge lights and under dash lights won't go OFF. I changed the headlight switch and no change. It's not the door jam switches because the dome lights still go on and off when I press them. I even pulled the head light switch completely out and they stay on. Any ideas before I pull the dash out looking for a short. It's just the gauges and under dash lights not the dome lights.

Failures of the driver door and tailgate wire harnesses causing short circuits are very common. Visually inspect and then test the wire harnesses with a volts ohms multi-meter for broken wires and chafed wire insulation.

are the lights on all the time? or only when the key is on? are they full on or just dim?
if they are dim its probably from a broken ground and its back feeding to a ground.

I unhooked the wires going to the drivers side door and nothing changed

Disconnected at the wire plug just inside of the body/door hinges ?

Do the doors connect to the gauge lights in an 89 remix? It's just speaker, and power window wires going into the door on mine

I don't know, but a short to ground or a short to a speaker wire can put 12 volts in strange places.

Sounds like the courtesy light relay might be shorted out or staying energized for some reason.... there should be a triangle connector looking relay under the dash, drivers side above pedals.

The wiring for the instrument lights is weird, it goes from the park light fuse up to the dimmer in the headlight switch, back down to the instru fuse and back up to the instrument cluster.

Back