• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 question. Bad solinoid?

Dragonlich1961

NAXJA Forum User
went to drive the jeep today and noticed that acceleration seamed sluggish. i remember reading that when in (1-2) the computer is bypassed, so i checked and accelation returned to normal.
i was starting in second gear. since the transmission responds fine in 1-2. this means the trans is ok and first gear solinoid is bad.

Is my diagnois correct and is there anything i can do further to check or repair?

Tranny is fine shifting manually. automaticlly it skips first.

Thanks Chris

looks like it is, guess the solinoid could stuck on. i'll check the trans fuse, any idea on location. manually shifting its fine, which means internally its ok. grr wish it was a five speed.

TCU fuse under/behind the passenger knee board...inline fuse, reach under, grab the wire harness, pull it out...check the fuse there.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have lost all electrics. Shifting to first and bringing it up to 3500 then shifting to third it feels like to big of an rpm and it begins to bog down. On the highway, I can't get it to downshift in second, which is only achieveable electronically.
I've checked the fuse under the hood, 10amp fuse. It's good. What's next

it very well could be. what year is it? at first you said you didnt have 1st gear and now you dont have second? does the tcu have any power?

KIMG0234_zpshmjeiyjq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Found my problem cutting wires running to something. I need a wiring diagram. This is sadly the result of vandalism and it's not the first offense. Just the first that results in a problem.

This is a 94 4.0. at first I thought so as well but then I started messing around more and noticed the huge rpm drop once shifted from first, so I checked fuses and those are good. Finally I remembered that a friend heard reports of someone removing bolts from the t-case. Turns out t-case is fine . So I checked again today and noticed the wires. I can't seam to find the other end.

not sure of the location of the broken wires but they come from the connector under the hood on the passengers side over the top of the transmission. and then go straight back the drivers side over to the tcase bolts and go into the transmission.

001_-3.jpg

i've got a spare tranny with harness for an old 94 that i have scrapped. how do i remove the harness from the transmission? more importantly, the solinoid wire plug located on the drivers side of the transmission down low on the right in the above picture?

Chris

Back