• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing Engine and Transmission Mounts before Rear Main Seal

WesWood151

NAXJA Forum User
Got a typically leaky rear main seal and when I bought it a mechanic I trust immensely told me that in a vehicle of its age and mileage ('98 & 175k), it would likely leak again. I assumed he was talking about old engine and transmission mounts. So before I commit to the RMS job, I figured I'd get those knocked out 1st.

1. In your experience, does this make a difference?
2. Are these only mounts I need to be concerned with, 2x engine and 1x transmission?

Thanks in advance - Wes

Rear main seal and engine mounts have nothing to do with each other, both are seperate issues and need to be dealt with accordingly.

It's up to you, you can visually check mounts, and you know you have an oil leak, if the oil seal is done right it should not leak again, that said there are other areas for oil leaks

Just gotta start the journey

Pshh, you're lucky to get 6 months out of a rear main before it starts seeping again. If it's real bad then yea do it, but if it's a seep, just get used to it. And no they have nothing to do with each other. Check your valve cover gasket, they commonly leak near the rear of the engine.

If the Jeep has 175k Id recommend doing the RMS, valve cover gasket and motor mounts. The transmission mount should be fine but you can always do a visual check just as you can with the engine. If you do motor mounts id recommend you stick with the stock ones. The harder ones will make your truck vibrate like a giant cell phone

Thanks guys. And glad to know about the aftermarket engine mounts, I was thinking about the Brown Dog ones.

As for the correlation between engine/transmission mounts, it only makes sense to me that play in engine mounting and transmission mounting would only exacerbate an issue where the two meet up. No?

Either way, it's clear that a leaky RMS something I'll live with as long as it's not too bad. Kinda keeps the belly lubed anyway, and that may not be too bad in upstate NY.

Something else I noticed on my jeep is that when I changed to the later style inlet manifold with the larger diameter crankcase breather hose ( back of tappet cover to manifold) my RMS leak stopped, now mine is an older motor and may have a little more blow by but hey it's a thought, may be try up grading the breather pipe dia, and see what happens

Back