• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off-road bumper preferences

97XJ_Country

NAXJA Forum User
My son inherited my 97 XJ and drives it to school. He was hit in the parking lot in the left rear. The damage to the XJ was minimal and the other driver's insurance paid out enough to get half of a decent off-road bumper.

I'm always interested in upgrading when I can, so I would like to put an aftermarket off-road bumper on it instead of making the repair. It currently has an ARB Bull Bar on the front, so something that matches that look would be good.

It has a 3.5" lift and was used by me on easier trails, hunting - mostly light off-roading. It's now used as his daily driver to school. So, I'm not looking for a monster rear bumper for rock crawling or heavy duty off-roading. Just something that looks good on a 97 model and is of good quality.

I'd like to spend $500 or less, so that probably excludes bumpers with tire carriers. No tubular bumpers since it wouldn't match the ARB up front. The Jeep already has a Hidden Hitch rear hitch, so bumpers with a built in hitch aren't needed.

My biggest issue is finding a bumper that wraps around to cover the sides where the plastic bumper covers fit. I either find bumpers that don't wrap around and leave a giant exposed section behind the rear wheels (Olympic style), or they want to sell add-on pieces that look odd (Tomken style).

I realize I've got a narrow set of requirements, but that's why I'm asking for suggestions. Maybe you know of some non-standard manufacturers.

Thanks!

Or if you have a welder and want to teach your son a new skill, get the JCR DIY bumper. Get front and rear as a matching pair and sell the ARB for an overall profit. Since you're building the rear yourself, you can throw a plate in place of the hitch mount if you want it to be flush.

JCR. Just bought my 3rd set up from them. Had the wife break her tire carrier , but if you seen her drive you would know why.(looking over shoulder while typing) As I was saying I am very happy with JCR. Yes you will pay for it, but it is worth every penny. The New stuff is just bitchin.

I approve this message. ;)

Back