• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Clutch Clicking & Turn Signal issue

SDrudge

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just bought my first XJ about two weeks ago. I've got two problems that I'm not sure what's causing them.

Jeep is (for the most part) completely stock. The previous owner did a few part replacements, but nothing major. The one thing he didn't get around to doing is swapping out the brake booster. There's a vacuum leak that is causing some bogging/sputtering/hesitation. I've got a new brake booster coming in today and I'll be putting that in this weekend when my husband doesn't have the Jeep at work.

My two issues that I'm having are this:

1. When sitting at an idle, the AC clutch cycles at what seems to me, very rapidly. It might be normal, but I figured I'd ask. It will engage, spin for a few seconds, disengage, click, stay stationary for a few seconds, rinse and repeat. It's constantly spinning when I put any amount of pressure on the throttle, it's just at an idle that it does this cycling. If a video is necessary to help diagnose this, I'll get one when Tim comes home tonight. Does this sound normal? Could this be caused by the vacuum leak?

2. My turn signals work intermittently. Hazards always work. My first idea was to check the fuse box on the driver side near the pedals because I had found a diagram which showed a turn signal flasher and a hazard flasher in opposite corners. No luck. They don't exist, just empty spaces for them. So I turned the hazards on, followed the clicking and found a square relay looking flasher up underneath the steering column, nestled behind the heat shield. Turned the hazards off and switched to the turn signal, and sure enough the clicking was coming from the same area. So, thinking that something was faulty with the flasher, I went and got a replacement and threw it in. No luck. Still intermittent. My next thought is possibly a loose connection somewhere in the wiring, because the block that the flasher was in seems to be mounted very terribly. It wobbled all over the place as I was pulling the flasher out and placing it back in. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

95 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr 4.0L I6 HO 2wd

Not positive about the '95, but on my '89, turn signal/brake light issues were cured by refreshing the ground that is located behind the rear, drivers side panel in the rear cargo area.

Regarding the AC compressor, it cycles with HVAC setting in defrost as well as when it's in the AC setting. Mine doesn't cycle as quickly as you indicate, but will cycle in both settings. Does AC work properly (cold)? Maybe the frequent cycling is an indication of low AC charge or something?

Back