• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ brake install ??

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have received most of my parts but have a few questions.
What is the banjo bolt size? It's not the same as my KJ calipers(3/8-24).
What is the caliper bracket bolt size? I've come up with 14mm x 40mm?
I've read all the info but found confusing info on whether or not I will need spacers for the brackets. I have a 2000 with the Timken 597449 unit bearings?

BTW: I didn't know bigger brakes where required just so you can carry the extra weight !!!!!!!

I picked up some mounting bolts from Jeep. I called Power Stop on the banjo bolts and they said they should be 3/8-24.

So that leaves the spacer question?

Well I got the banjo's bolts working(3/8-24)!

I picked up some bracket mounting bolts(12mmx1.25x35mm)!

And I did a mock-up of everything this morning, no spacers are required with my 2000 unit bearings!

WJ knuckles, renix knuckles?

I'm ordered a set of WJ knuckles, never heard anything about Renix parts use!

Haven't tested the theory, but I have heard that WJ caliper/bracket is plug n pray on renix knuckle use with 00up UB and redrilled or dual drilled WJ rotors.

I was going to attempt to fit it, but I got Renix knuckles and spacers setup for 14-16 GC calipers and lager rotors. 17" wheels FTW.

Haven't tested the theory, but I have heard that WJ caliper/bracket is plug n pray on renix knuckle use with 00up UB and redrilled or dual drilled WJ rotors.

I was going to attempt to fit it, but I got Renix knuckles and spacers setup for 14-16 GC calipers and lager rotors. 17" wheels FTW.

Hmm , interesting. The WK2 which is from 2011 to present uses 14 inch rotors. Will they fit inside a 17 inch wheel? But, ...I do not know the diameter of the rotors you will be using since this will be a custom job.
The first generation WK uses 13 inch rotors. These too will have to be custom fitted since the overall height is less than that of the XJ.

It's time to go to work!

Everything's here !!
P1080476_zpsqxsz0amm.jpg

P1080477_zpsufz4i2ya.jpg

P1080478_zpsubtwxyv0.jpg

You bought everything as a set designed to fit and work together. I built mine from bone yard parts and custom fitted everything in my garage. The knuckles I am using are the OEM 1996 ones with custom spacers and redrilled WK rotors.

Hmm , interesting. The WK2 which is from 2011 to present uses 14 inch rotors. Will they fit inside a 17 inch wheel? But, ...I do not know the diameter of the rotors you will be using since this will be a custom job.
The first generation WK uses 13 inch rotors. These too will have to be custom fitted since the overall height is less than that of the XJ.
It uses 2014 Stang GT rotors that are 330mm iiRC. There's a 'big brake ' thread over at cherokeeforum.

You bought everything as a set designed to fit and work together. I built mine from bone yard parts and custom fitted everything in my garage. The knuckles I am using are the OEM 1996 ones with custom spacers and redrilled WK rotors.

I wished, the only used parts are the KJ backing plates! As for the rest...........

Jeep
Oreilly's
Ace hardware
Rock Auto
Crown Automotive
JKS
M.O.R.E.
Power Stop
Stop Tech
Iron Rock Offroad
Yukon Axle

I don't think I forgot anybody!

I had a set of the original 300 mm brake set from go - jeep. I replaced them after a couple thousand miles because I was never happy with them. In my opinion either the rotors and or pads were sub - standard (good riddance ).

The first generation WK rotors that are installed now measure 328 mm. I looked at the Mustang rotors but did not like the overall height.

And besides I prefer to keep everything in the jeep family. Now a panic stop is plain awesome, almost too much brakes for the OEM JK wheels and tires on the XJ now.

Well the rear KJ brake install went like a dream! Yesterday I p/u some WJ knuckles from the P-n-P to verify a question I had with the new knuckles I bought from Crown Automotive. The Crown knuckles are incorrectly machined for the ball joints, one was cut to deep and the other to shallow with neither being a good fit on the taper. I have another WJ install in the future but I don't feel good about trying to repair what's wrong and for the price I'm just going to send them back!

Back