• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fluid for AW-4

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently had my AW-4 serviced. I remember always using Dextron III/Mercon fluid but this time the shop put in STP ATF+4. The mechanic said that he was sure this would be fine.

I am worried, is the ATF+4 acceptable for the AW-4 tranny?

Thanks,

The mechanic is an idiot. The fluid may or may not be fine. Some Cherokee owners report transmission slippage with ATF+ that is cured by installing Dexron-III/Mercon.

What it boils down to is the transmission (AW-4) was designed to work with Dexron.

Dodge redesigned their transmission and has been modifying the fluid, ATF 1-4, trying to get the tranny to work and last.

The beginning of the whole debacle was Dodge needed more slip in their newly redesigned transmission to stop the chatter. And with all the changes to the fluid, seem to be still having problems.

After the wife took her XJ to Chrysler/Jeep for a service the AW-4 started slipping. Was it definitely Chrysler and their ATF, I don't know for certain. On our third XJ now, religiously use Dexron, no slippage issues. I'm not going to try another load of ATF no matter what Chrysler says.

Like I said, I can't definitely say it was the ATF. but why take a chance?

Dexron/Mercon is the specified fluid for the AW-4, and you can find it everywhere. Why use anything else ?

Back