• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

key won't turn Passenger door manual lock

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
my 96's manual door lock won't lock or unlock with my original key. My wife's copy will only unlock it in one orientation. If I flip the key around it "kinda" turns both ways.
I've soaked it in penetrating oil to no avail.
Thoughts?

One lock or all of them ? It is likely that the key is excessively worn, the lock cylinder pins are excessively worn, or a little of both. The lock cylinder pins can be replaced by a locksmith, and he may be able to cut a fresh key, if not the Dealership can.

Can you lock and unlock it from inside? The reason I as is that there is a problem with the Renix era door latch mechanisms that allows you to lock the door but not unlock it either way.

Can you lock and unlock it from inside? The reason I as is that there is a problem with the Renix era door latch mechanisms that allows you to lock the door but not unlock it either way.

What is the Renix fix?

Take the door panel, inside, off and check the operating rods and the little plastic bushing on them, they get old and either wear out or fall off, or both. Make sure they're attached. If they look OK, spray them or a dab of lithium grease

The fix on my 88 MJ was to replace the locks...both. The truck had been sitting for 5+ years, in a barn. Felt like there was sand in the lock, the original key was in great shape. The new locks, of course, come with a new key.

My XJ just needed new keys. Both the original keys had worn down to a smooth edge, the ignition key was just a pointy remnant of it's original self.

What is the Renix fix?
The renix problem lies in a metal tang that is bent inwards from the door jam and has a rubber bumper on it. After a while the rubber wears down or falls off. Once the door card was removed and I pulled the three torx screws holding the locking mechanism, I was able to slide the mechanism down and insert a large flat blade screw driver and pry the tang upwards.

The underlying problem is that the tang no longer keeps the lock rod from going so far down and when this happens, you can't flip the lock lever because the lock rod keeps the lock mechanism from clicking into place.

Back