• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead light problem

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
'96 XJ here and since I got the truck 10 years ago it's had this problem. When you turn the headlight knob to turn the interior light on, the light comes on, and then turns off when the knob is turned back, but in the process it 100% of the time blows a fuse under the dash.

What's the most likely culprit here?

Would it be easier just to re-run all the wiring instead of trying to search for a bad connection somewhere?

I'm actually talking about my overhead interior light but yes the fuse is always blown I believe when the knob is rotated back into the off position. Years ago I though it was the headlight switch itself but after changing it out the problem stayed.

the interior light control is a ground switch. when that knob is rotated to the on position it grounds the circuit, when it is rotated back to off it just disconnects. i could see it blowing a fuse when trying to turn on the interior lights but turning them off is interesting.

Check your Headlight Plugs. Look at the Sockets that the Headlights Plug Into.
They Are Known to Over Heat & Crack/Melt.
This Is due to Under Sized Wire Gage from the Factory, in the Wiring Harness.
Been Fighting a Lighting Issue for 2 yrs Myself. Tracked it down to a Bad Headlight Socket. Caused a Number of Issues w/ Int & Ext Lights.
Also, Be Sure to Check All Your Major Battery Grounds.
Change All your Battery Cables (+ & -) to 4 GA Minimum (2 GA Is even Better)
Makes a Huge Difference, All Around.
Hope This Helps,
UncleSarge58

Back