• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me identify engine noise.

zachtyler

NAXJA Forum User
1989 XJ Laredo 4.0L
I first heard this noise when I started my car after staying in a hotel en route back from Utah. (I am from SoCal.) It was super cold overnight. It is definitely the longest trip I've ever done with my rig. It went away after driving to a gas station across the street. Didn't hear it again for about 2 weeks until yesterday, I heard it on a cold start and it lasted a little longer. Drove to another gas station near my house, put a bit of gas in (I was super low, and broke! LOL) and drove home. The next day, (this morning) I started her up and was hoping it would make the noise so I could get a recording of it. Sure enough, it did. The noise cut out just a few seconds after I shut the video off. So far, it only makes the noise on a super cold start in the morning. Hasn't made the noise during the day, even after my long work shifts. It sounds like it's either coming from the engine, or the water pump/oil filter area. The belt chirp is a non-issue, but still aggravating. But, the bigger noise is the one I'm concerned about. Anybody got any ideas? Attached link is a video of the noise. Thanks, guys.

Zach

https://youtu.be/Pbl_677llfA

Hmm.. I'll check tomorrow, hopefully it makes the noise. I'll put my stethoscope directly on the cap, and see if it's coming from there. Sounds likely. Good recommendation.

Yep, that's it (or at least it sounded just like mine did). I don't know if the bearings sold separately, I just replaced my dist.

Good luck

I'm thinking e-fan, fan cowl, bearings on the front belt operated stuff, A/C bearing, idler bearing, water pump, belt itself, alternator.

Pull the belt and see if it makes the noise if a visual inspection reveals nothing. With the belt off check the bearing feel by hand on all rotating parts. Check harmonic balancer on the front of the crank shaft for signs of the rubber guts cracking or coming loose and slapping stuff while it rotates. Are the motor mounts or Transmission mount going bad letting the engine move? or the exhaust pipe rub and vibrate near the Tranny mount.

Back