• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering pump swap question

MjTjNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Have an 87 MJ with 2.5L and the remote reservoir PS setup. Having trouble with the system, have replaced everything. Wondering if I got an integrated pump/reservoir from a later model 2.5 XJ, and the bracketry, would everything line up?

Thanks!

Tom

Have an 87 MJ with 2.5L and the remote reservoir PS setup. Having trouble with the system, have replaced everything. Wondering if I got an integrated pump/reservoir from a later model 2.5 XJ, and the bracketry, would everything line up?

Thanks!

Tom

Yes, get a pump from a 04 WJ. Regardless what what anyone else says.

Treat that pulley with precious love and respect...........there are no more, in fact I only know of one that's available.

You'll need to swap the pulley and tap all the holes in the pump (mount) to 3/8-16.

And if you want to really sweaten her up.........get a ZJ box..........enjoy the ride.

And you'll need a pressure side hose for a '94XJ with a 4.0

OK, I just did a little reading about the WJ pump swap, and the reviews are very mixed. I've been having trouble with my stock PS system for a year, and I want to simplify things, not complicate them. What about a stock XJ 4.0 pump with the reservoir on the pump? I think the remote reservoir is what's giving me the trouble. Would a stock 4.0 pump with reservoir be a bolt on to my Renix 2.5?

PS - I have an extra serpentine PS pump pulley, if anyone needs it ;-)

do you have a picture of your current setup? the only thing i can think of is that a hose is hooked up wrong but after all that work that has been done i cant imagine that is the cause.

Was this the set up with the remote reservoir?
Edit
Yep just reread the op. I remember the story from another site. Always seemed like the hoses were reversed and the res was getting too much pressure on the return

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Definitely not the hoses reversed, which is what everyone suggested.

I'm onto trying to figure if a 4.0 setup, with the reservoir mounted on the pump, can work on a 2.5, with the correct pulley, of course. Maybe I'll buy one and find out.

since somebody was able to do the conversion with a wJ pump, I'd guess it'd be a matter of brackets for a 4.0.
Thing is I think it bolted to the intake at least in part, for sure two of the bolts go through the intake housing to the back of the pump that have to be loosened give it range to be tightened or loosened.
I think two more points were on the water pump housing. My experience is with a 92 and would need to be refreshed for accuracy.

You might look for a write up on the with people swapping the old style intake for the late 90s intake , there should be some info and pictures of the brackets involved with the 4.0 pump.

Found a lot of Tj and maybe YJ 2.5 owners had problems leaking reservoirs and were looking in to the 4.0 swap. I never found their solution in my searches. But there is a forum they said specializes in 2.5, but the thread I found it on would go dead and come back with a new question nobody said if they figured it out.

http://www.4bangerjp.com/forums/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back