• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan wiring

voudoux

NAXJA Forum User
A question about electric cooling fan wiring, if I am running 2 97/99 4.0 xj cooling fans what would be the problem with both fans running all the time. This way the thermostat would control the engine temp not the fans cutting on and off. This would be more like the stock engine run fan,and like the cooling systems were originally designed. Thanks

You keep asking the same question, are you expecting a different answer?

There are two ways to accomplish this, the right way, and then there is another way, you insist on the other way.

Visit this page for the right way, although I don't agree with his choice of fans and he needs the relief holes- http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1097001&page=2

You will only pull through 1/3 of the radiator the way you are doing it, 2/3 when the secondary fan comes on.

If you insist, to answer your question-

Wire the fan direct. Choose ANY ignition wire in the engine bay as a trigger wire to your relay, that way when the engine is running your primary fan will run.
That is the wrong way in my opinion......but............there you go.

Run it.

I don' t understand your answer,do you understand the question which was ,is there a problem running both fans all the time and letting the thermostat regulate engine temp like the original liquid cool system was designed. Please explain what about this question bothers you so much, it is a hypothetical question concerning a way to run fans ,not guide of what fans,or how many,or what brand fan or even if you should even run electric fans. Thanks

I don' t understand your answer,do you understand the question which was ,is there a problem running both fans all the time and letting the thermostat regulate engine temp like the original liquid cool system was designed. Please explain what about this question bothers you so much, it is a hypothetical question concerning a way to run fans ,not guide of what fans,or how many,or what brand fan or even if you should even run electric fans. Thanks

I'll try one more time.

Nothing bothers me. However, you have not done any studying on how the cooling system works since your last thread.

No, you cannot leave out half of the equation and get a correct answer.

You have made up you mind on fans.......fine........

The thermostat will do what a thermostat does, regardless of which fan you use.........IOWs, it's irrelevant to your question.

Do not wire the fans to the same circuit!!! If you fry the circuit you lost BOTH fans.

Both fans CAN be run off the sender/switch....OR....they can both be run continuous or independently. One continuous and one to the thermo switch. BUT WIRED INDEPENDENTLY!!!!!

Your question is not a hypothetical.

You dont understand electrical circuits, do you?

What are you really trying to accomplish here?
Do you understand the benefit of an Efan?

FWIW-

I run a 180 stat and a 195 switch.

If you use your existing switch, you'll run hot. Do not wire the new fan with the secondary fan, both fans will come on too late.

You'll need to decide where and what thermo switch to install.....to install a manual override switch on the dash and how to wire it..........use the ground side of the relay to the switch in the dash, this way you are not concerned with a hot wire. Your switch will trigger the ground on the relay anyway.

Coolant will flow regardless of fans..............

What you have to decide is if your fans will get ahead of the heat or lag behind the heat.
If you lag with cheap fans or a poor set up you will be one of the people complaining about Efans.

Study how they work.

Jeep Driver, the question is not about how to wire it,I know how to wire anything I need to do,the question is ,if the fans (all of them) are wired to run all the time,using correct gauge wire and fused as close to the current source feeding the relays and also fused between relays and fans ( I hope I have that covered) and it is not about if the fans I chose as an example will even cool correctly. It is about running the fans(all of them) all of the time. I am sorry if I have not been clear enough,I can not make it any clearer. Please reread my post including this one. Thank for replying

Now we seem to be getting somewhere.

The primary benefit to an Efan is to not use it.

I live in a rural area, I can get in my truck and make a 30 minute commute and my fan will never cycle.

You can make them run all the time if you want..........it's not a problem.

Or you can set them up so they only come on when necessary........that is the point of Efans.

I just bought a new truck, today I'm beginning to take my MJ apart for a new engine, so I may not be driving it this winter.......but.......if I were to........the Efan would never come on at all.

Secondary benefits-

Faster warm ups in winter.
Caged fan is finger friendly.
Consistent airflow regardless of engine RPM, this is where clutch fans FAIL!
Easy access to repairs, serpentine belt, water pump, hoses....etc....
Control, I control the airflow, not some dumbfan.
Can be made to run after shutdown.
Can be used to cool an engine/radiator down fast for coolant check/fill or repair.
Can be used to eliminate heat soak. (I'm not sold on heat soak but that's another matter)

We seem to be starting to understand that we are talking about the same thing. We discussed the ideas of running cooler thermostats on some other thread. I am just putting ideas together at this point,that's was what I meant by hypothetical . Your comment on getting ahead of the heat is what always looks like the best way to handle engine heat. As it probably easier to stop an engine from heating than it is to cool it down from a close call,I'm not an engineer,but I do have many years experience. Thanks

voudoux,
First Off We Need More Information.
1) What are Your Reasons/Symptoms for Considering This?
2) Do you have an Auto or Manual Trans?
3) AW4 (Auto) Generates a Lot More Heat than a Manual 5 Speed.
4) I Lived in NC for 25 yrs & DD my '96 2Dr 4X4 Both @ the Beach & in the City w/ No Overheat Issues.
5) Moved to Arkansas (In the Mountains / 7.5 Miles Off Pavement) & then Texas w/ 106+ F Heat in Traffic & Had Lots of Overheat/ Boil Over Issues.
6) Simple Solution was to Run w/o T-Stat in Summer.
7) 2nd solution was to Install a Manual E- Fan Switch.
8) Final Solution was to Install a Trans Cooler (I have an AW4) & Hood Lift Prob. Solved!
9) If U R Dead Set on Runnin' 2 E-Fans Constantly - Get a 120-200 Amp Alternator - You'll Need It (Good 2 Do Anyway/For Lights, Stereo, etc.)
& Maybe an Xtra Battery!
10) Anyway, Post More Symptoms to Your Problem w/ Specific Year & Model.

UncleSarge58

I see from your post you did not read my posts completely,it was about if you used electric fans would there be problems running all of them (1 ,2 or3 ,what ever you have) all the time. For your information it is a 1998 ,2 door, 2.5 4 Cyl,5speed, 285/70/15 BFG sport truck tires, 4.10 gears. I have no heating problems,I would like to get rid of the heavy macanical fan and not so long life clutch. For both a little power to the wheels and l have repaired three Dodge trucks (small gas engines) where the fan shaft broke where it entered the outer bearing . You would not believe what damage a fan could cause. One even damaged the car in the next lane. I have looked for a lighter weight mechanical fan,nothing yet.

True,my idea is letting the fans run all the time and controlling engine temp with the thermostats not fans cutting off and on. The first clutch fans I first remember came on air conditioned cars with huge fans so they would not over heat in traffic I think the main use of the clutch was gas mileage and noise. You are right in away they are running but not moving much air,they don' t stop. I am not sure how accurate they are at locking in at certain water temp as they work on air temp. But I see your point. Thanks

I am running two e-fans continually once warmed up and have a stock alternator and a smaller miata battery. Just do it already and use the wiring diagram that I shared in the other thread you started.

Thanks for all the info on this thread and other threads concerning,fans and related stuff l have learned a lot , no more from me on this subject. Thanks again.

Back