• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boatside Question

Kyle

NAXJA Forum User
So in a couple weeks I hope to start the boatside project of my XJ. I have searched and seen some good photo examples however what im looking for is information on how high you can go with the 2x6 before you make your doors completely unusable. Im going to make the doors removable however would like to be able to put them back on in the rain/cold weather etc. Any information/photos of construction would be extremely helpful.

Thanks guys.

a typical rocker replacement does not effect the door:
DSC00313.jpg

going a little further will require trimming the doors, but you should be able to retain them easily:
6E9D433B-A425-4724-BB0A-A8CAF0BC74AB.jpg

see the difference? going further starts to get into skin territory rather than retaining the factory door and glass.

So in a couple weeks I hope to start the boatside project of my XJ. I have searched and seen some good photo examples however what im looking for is information on how high you can go with the 2x6 before you make your doors completely unusable. Im going to make the doors removable however would like to be able to put them back on in the rain/cold weather etc. Any information/photos of construction would be extremely helpful.

Thanks guys.

Search for my thread of my old rig build Rusty nail I went about an inch below the bottom hinge with a little modification to my window regulator.

Did mine like the first pic above, trimmed about .25" below the corner. I've heard if you go flush to the corner they tend to bend up and block door opening/closing, I have no personal experience with that though.

I have banged mine pretty hard with no bad results. I did .25" wall 2x6

Cool thanks guys. I don't mind cutting the door just would like to retain its basic functionality. I will search for that build as suggested.

Currently doing mine. I cut out the entire rocker and floor. 2x6 is roughly 1/4 below the hinge. When I eye balled it, looked like it'll work with regulator modifications. If the windows don't roll down all the way I'll be pissed.

29486907445_336fa9442d_b.jpg

I went up this high and cut where the tape is on the bottom of the door.
20160313_132632_zpsl7nj5mog.jpg

Here it is with the door back on:
20160313_154227_zps6zomek6h.jpg

I just capped the bottom of the door with 1/8":
20160319_152723_zpsczuuja5n.jpg

If you can cut and stick metal enough to boat side it; you can fix the door. I hope this helps.

Check out user TORX 'Nail Salon' thread. He's one of the more meticulous people with very clean work.

Back