• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HVAC blower only works on the highest setting

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
So my 97 XJ has a new out of nowhere problem. I turned on the heat this morning because it was actually pretty cool out this morning here in Georgia. I usually leave it on setting 3 for the blower and I realized there was no air coming out. I switched it around to the other settings to discover only setting 4 would actually make the blower function.

Can anyone guide me to what it might be on a 97 XJ?

There is a lot of info on TJs on the internet but I couldn't find anything on XJ.

That most often means the blower motor resister has burned out and needs to be replaced. You can get to it by taking the glove box out.

That most often means the blower motor resister has burned out and needs to be replaced. You can get to it by taking the glove box out.

Take the glove box out just to reach the fan speed resistor? OUCH!!! Or is that a simple job on a 97?

The fan speed resistor pack swap is a 2 minute job on Renix XJs, under the glove box.

Maybe you can get to it without take the glove box out. I don't remember. Its only a few seconds if you have to.

The Blower Resistor Block is accessed by removing the kick cover from under the right side of the dash, under the glove box. See pic.

There are four screws holding the kick cover on. The two top screws (in the pic) are in slots on the kick cover and are only loosened. The two bottom screws must be removed.

The pic of the kick cover screw locations are misleading. The upper left screw is accessed by rolling the glove box down (not removing it) by removing the two rubber stops. See pic.

The upper right screw (in the pic) is actually accessed from under the dash. It is located to the right of the curtesy light. You'll need a mirror to see it.

The two lower screws are a PITA get at but at least you can get at them easy enough. Pull the kick cover out of the way then you can see the Blower Resistor Block. See pic.

8MM socket for the screws.

Roll down rubber stops:

GB%20Roll%20Down%202.jpg

Kick Cover and Resistor Block:

Blower%20Resistor%20and%20kick%20cover.jpg

Back