• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Build

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
Dana 30 Build Questions

For real this time... :D

This is my current plan:

Stinkyfab Highsteer/WJ brake kit $1850
Ballistic Fab truss $80
Artic inner C gussets $80

Barnes 4wd LCA Mounts HAVE
Barnes 4wd UCA Mount HAVE
Crane Diff Cover HAVE
Axle Tube Seals HAVE
Super 30 Kit w/ARB HAVE
Dana 30 R&P Install Kit HAVE
D30 HP 4.88 Gears HAVE

The stinkyfab kit is spending but it comes with everything so there's no danger it won't work together.

There's a few other options out there for truss's but they are all similar...

Anything I'm forgetting? It will all be ran with an RE 5.5" Extreme duty long arm kit...

Last edited:
Inner C rotation? With all that, it'd be nice to correct the caster.
Just a thought, I'm looking into this myself:farmer:

I don't think it's necessary. If I was going to do that, I'd slap the CJ Dana 30 knuckles that I have on and run the D44 outers with histeer. :D

I did the inner C cut and rotate. It only took me a day.

I'd look at the artec truss over the Ballistic Fab. They have a long standing reputation for ripping people off.

I've installed both the ballistic and the artec trusses. the artec is way better.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up!!

Artec truss it is.

Wow that is a TON of money to spend on a d30

I've had the super 30 ARB kit for 10+ years, paid I think $500 for it...

The stinkyfab kit is expensive, but it comes with all steering and brakes needed.

Re: Re: Dana 30 Build

Wow that is a TON of money to spend on a d30

You telling me! That's crazy $!
It works for some folks I suppose, but I felt way better getting D44 from a waggy, install gears, a spool, hubs, and ram assist and I spent $900 total and it works great. Can't tell the spool is there hardly with the ram assist and I have the option of 3wd for tight turns and unlocking both hubs on the road. Sure it's low pinion and not "stronger" than a HP30 but the bigger brakes, bigger tubes, and hubs made it better across the board in my book.
I understand my path may have others thinking I'm crazy too. To each their own...

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

To each their own...

Exactly. ;)

FWIW building an axle is not cheap no matter how you do it.

That's the truth. If I was starting from scratch with this, I would have definitely done a 44.

If there are better options than the stinky fab kit - I'm all ears. I priced out doing the WJ swap a little while back piecing parts together and the total was close to $900...and that didn't include any steering...

You telling me! That's crazy $!
It works for some folks I suppose, but I felt way better getting D44 from a waggy, install gears, a spool, hubs, and ram assist and I spent $900 total and it works great. Can't tell the spool is there hardly with the ram assist and I have the option of 3wd for tight turns and unlocking both hubs on the road. Sure it's low pinion and not "stronger" than a HP30 but the bigger brakes, bigger tubes, and hubs made it better across the board in my book.
I understand my path may have others thinking I'm crazy too. To each their own...

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

It won't have bigger brakes than a WJ converted dana 30.

It does have weaker stubs than a dana 30..

Ring gear is meh, approx the same strength.

In your $900, did you buy brand new Centric rotors and calipers, brand new timken bearings and seals, 7075 aluminium steering links, sway bar mounts, pitman arm, new (not used and junkyard'd) knuckles, etc etc.

Gotta compare apples to apples. SFR sells an $1800 kit that has $1500 in new parts in it. You could possibly save a few bucks doing it piecemeal, but not by much.

It won't have bigger brakes than a WJ converted dana 30.

It does have weaker stubs than a dana 30..

Ring gear is meh, approx the same strength.

In your $900, did you buy brand new Centric rotors and calipers, brand new timken bearings and seals, 7075 aluminium steering links, sway bar mounts, pitman arm, new (not used and junkyard'd) knuckles, etc etc.

Gotta compare apples to apples. SFR sells an $1800 kit that has $1500 in new parts in it. You could possibly save a few bucks doing it piecemeal, but not by much.

The fact that all of the stuff from SF is designed to work together is a great piece of mind for me...

Re: Dana 30 Build Questions

From what I've seen SFR makes a quality product and put a lot of research into doing it right. It wasn't available when I upgraded but I was determined to get rid of my 30 anyways, and like I said, to each their own.

Re: Dana 30 Build Questions

From what I've seen SFR makes a quality product and put a lot of research into doing it right. It wasn't available when I upgraded but I was determined to get rid of my 30 anyways, and like I said, to each their own.

Rock on!

Back