• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank

voudoux

NAXJA Forum User
On my 98 xj if you fill the gas tank full there is a rattling noise that come from the tank. It sounds like a large plastic ball in the tank. I was told it was some sort of anti spill valve that Jeep left a anti rattel spring out of to save money. My 99 does not make this noise, must have the spring. Does any one else have this noise? I just never fill it up, Is this fixable without major work? Thanks

My 2k has made that noise from day one, why are you afraid to fill it up?

My XJ's make all kind of noises, most of which are not cause for unnecessary repairs. I don't expect an 18 year old 4x4 with +250,000 miles to drive or sound like the girlfriends 2015 Subaru. I think that it is probably the Jeep Thing everybody talks about.

I have the bottom end of a tank rollover valve in my tank. I know this because I put it there...albeit by accident. It's never given me any trouble and I don't hear it bouncing around, but it could be what it is. The rollover valve was new, I poked it in the hole...and I pulled it back out to see if I had it in right. When I pulled on it, it came apart, and the bottom of it fell into the tank.
:gee:
A $25 lesson, once it's in, don't pull it out.

Yep. My '98 sounds like there is a plastic ball floating around in the tank when I fill it full. I've had zero problems with it. I just assumed it was the guage float hitting the top of the tank when it is full. Once I drive 20-30 miles the sound disappears until the next fill up.

My 97 does it. 91 does not. Actually rather loud in the cab when you stop and turn it off and the tank is full. like a ball floating around in the tank. Stops after about an 1/8 is burned off. Never had any issue. My 2000 never did that though. so I am not sure what years are like that.

Back