• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo gear

Try a 33-tooth gear.

Yeah, the chart says 32-tooth for 31" tires, but most 31" tires actually measure about 30.4". I run 3.73 gears in my MJ. I bought a 34-tooth gear based on the chart when I planned to buy 30" tires. But my brother gave me his old 31s, and with that gear and 31x10.50 tires the speedo is EXACTLY on the money when I drive through those radar trailers that cops in the northeast like to set out nowadays. Chart says I should be running a 33-tooth gear, so I'm guessing that you'll want one more tooth than what the chart says since that's what worked for me.

i apologize for hijacking, but it seems your query has been answered. anyway, i have a 5 spd. the stock speedo gear has 30 teeth if i recall correctly. i've changed my gear ratio from 3.07 to 4.10's. the chart that everyone has posted links to points me towards a 36 tooth gear for my new 33's. my question is: on that same chart, the tooth count goes down coinciding with larger tires. why then, would my tooth count increase? thanks in advance.

thompson97 said:
why then, would my tooth count increase? thanks in advance.

Cause you're doing two things at the same time. You're both swapping tire sizes and gears so one and the other add to eachother for the calculation.

eagle
where did you get a 34 tooth? . the closest my stealership could get was a 33(which is what the chart said I need) my speedo reads about 5% to fast.using a gps. mine is a '90 and it uses the long shaft.
thanks, scott

wascobi said:
eagle
where did you get a 34 tooth? . the closest my stealership could get was a 33(which is what the chart said I need) my speedo reads about 5% to fast.using a gps. mine is a '90 and it uses the long shaft.
thanks, scott

Got it from the dealer. He didn't have it listed when he looked them up, but the last 2 digits of the part number are the tooth count, and when we punched that in it came up as a valid number -- so I ordered it.

Back