• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yard find

virginiaxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought a 94 2 door XJ Sport from my work. She's been sitting in the "dickweeds" for 10 years. I wandered on over and my jaw dropped when I realized it was a 2 door 4x4 4.0 with a clean interior. I started the paperwork from DMV and worked out a good fair price with my work. I dragged her out and shes missing a few pieces, but All is well since I have a good friend who works at a parts store. the body is clean and the paint is.... ok. I but a battery in and she turned over but didnt start I grabbed some starting fluid and she stayed running for as long as I sprayed fluid in the intake. I put three gallons of fresh gas in the tank and I thought I heard the fuel pump running but turns out it was the rear wiper. Once I realized what it was, I listened for the pump, and sure enough it was silent. I pulled the fuel input and return lines off the rail and cranked it over, nada. I'm assuming its the fuel pump since its giving me the symptoms. I checked the relay (switched them around a bit) Am I crazy? should I check anything else before I get her up on a lift? I'm prepared to get this thing back up to par, I really want to take her to Hatteras and all over. Perhaps put on some 44" chrome spinners and drop her to the frame. That was a joke btw.

i would check to see if its getting 12v to the pump when its cranking.

also chrome is a bit unsightly go with 24k gold rims.

i would check to see if its getting 12v to the pump when its cranking.

also chrome is a bit unsightly go with 24k gold rims.

It'll be difficult to get under it seeing how it has 4 flat tires. Also, spider city. the tank was 100% empty when I got my lady paws on it. If I ever figure out how to post pics, I'll share some. Shes a pretty blue color. not quite dark blue but a royal blue maybe? Tan interior 4 wheels etc. etc. etc.

How about white gold? I checked Chrome rims depot and they only have the 43"s in gold.

Checking the power is good advice.

Everything from fuel filters to the injectors and railing could be clogged at this point. But you've checked the right things IMO.

Good news is it ran so that eliminates so many other issues beside fuel supply.
If your sender and tank are ok just buy a Bosch fuel pump and put new filters on, if there's any doubt I'd replace the tank and get a junkyard sender and pump assembly to keep it all factory. Aftermarket sender pump assembly work but are notoriously inaccurate.

BTW Great find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I love my 2 doors though finding interior parts is sometimes challenging, rare find, now the multi million dollar question" is it a 5 speed". I've seen a few in person but only one was manual.
As for the fuel pump, thankfully is a 94 , the pump goes in from the front of the tank so no need to drop the tank. Since it's been sitting for a while with a empty tank, there's a good chance for rust inside the tank. I'd pull the sender and look, it rust is present then source a new tank, unless you want to buy cases of filters.
Happy hunting

Personally I love my 2 doors though finding interior parts is sometimes challenging, rare find, now the multi million dollar question" is it a 5 speed". I've seen a few in person but only one was manual.
As for the fuel pump, thankfully is a 94 , the pump goes in from the front of the tank so no need to drop the tank. Since it's been sitting for a while with a empty tank, there's a good chance for rust inside the tank. I'd pull the sender and look, it rust is present then source a new tank, unless you want to buy cases of filters.
Happy hunting

Shes a Automatic, I know I wish it was a manual, but beggars cant be choosers. I am pretty excited to pull the pump and see into the tank. I've got a light green 93 that's complete except the motor. I'll be robbing all the interior parts off that and saving the glass too.

Alright, I've got power but no pump still. I ordered the pump and strainer from the parts store. A new problem I've got going on is when I cranked it over I saw my Oil pressure was pegged, and when I traced the wire, I saw the plug in from the engine harness was missing. as in, someone cut it out of the harness. Any ideas on where I can get another? My work has a Grand Cherokee with a 4.0, is it safe to assume that they are the same?

Um, no. Well maybe.
Depends on the year. The motor I picked to rebuild has a different sender than our XJ it is only a few years younger.

Hang on I'll look up the sender interchange

Oil pressure sender jeep 4.0 interchange ;
Cherokee 1992-1996
wrangler, grand Cherokee, 1993-1995
Dodge Viper 1995-2002

If you can find the plug off one of those year you should be able to splice it back

Standard motor products shows
S-727
Supposed to be a new oil pressure switch connector
Rockauto shows it's for Chrysler cars but not jeep, other places show it fits jeep. Amazon has it for $21.21 and they say it fits jeep. You may just have to get one in you hands to know for sure

Oil pressure sender jeep 4.0 interchange ;
Cherokee 1992-1996
wrangler, grand Cherokee, 1993-1995
Dodge Viper 1995-2002

If you can find the plug off one of those year you should be able to splice it back

Standard motor products shows
S-727
Supposed to be a new oil pressure switch connector
Rockauto shows it's for Chrysler cars but not jeep, other places show it fits jeep. Amazon has it for $21.21 and they say it fits jeep. You may just have to get one in you hands to know for sure

Dodge Viper? I have a 2003 :( bummer. But thanks for the info, I am surprised at how much better I like this forum the second time around

If she starts with the new filter and pump I would add Red Line fuel system cleaner mixed double strength in the gas. I recently bought back two 4.0s that had been sitting for a number of years. It cleaned the injectors and the fuel system and did an amazing job. AZ doesn't carry it but O'Reilly's does.

Also don't be surprised is your fuel pressure regulator sprays gas all over once you get fuel in the system.

why would it spray fuel everywhere? I just got the fuel pump in this morning but cant install it until Friday, maybe Saturday (weather permitting of course). I checked the Grand Cherokee we have in the back its a bloody 97. Gosh I hate Grand Cherokees with a burning passion. I'll try that fuel additive, thankfully the tank was empty, well the gauge says empty.

Back