• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Xj computers

dakzimm

NAXJA Forum User
I've spent days trying to figure this out and finally decided to just ask here. I'm doing the 97+ conversion on 90 mj eliminator and I need to know how many computers and where they are located in the xj. I bought the project in pieces with all the parts so I didn't get to see how it all came apart. From my understansing there is the engine computer under the hood and the transmission computer on the Trans tunnel. I just want to be sure those are the only 2. Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you what to call a "computer." The technical term manufacturers like to use is "module", but technically the fuel pump assembly is deemed to be a "module." But I digress...

Really, it depends on how optioned out the donor vehicle is. According to Mitchell, a fully optioned out '97 XJ could have as many as 7 computer/control modules- the TCM (under the center of the dash panel), the PCM (in the engine bay on the fender, duh.) the ABS module (mounted on the hydraulic control unit, probably near the master cylinder), the airbag control module (under the left front (driver's?) seat, the instrument cluster (in front of driver's seat, duh.), the overhead module (mounted on ceiling, duh.) and the compass module (also on ceiling?) All of these modules have a violet and brown as well as well as a white and black, 2-wire CAN line running to them.

No problem. :) I have access to Mitchell Pro-Demand, which helps lol. (Sorry, I'm not supposed to give out the log-in stuff.) Despite it being a subscription service run by Snap-Off, you'd be surprised how little repair information it can have at times... couldn't even find an illustration showing me the location of the timing mark on my balancer last week! Had to go to Google for that, but it's useful for some things...

Back