• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$10,000 and an 88' XJ

Broken-1

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the deal- I am tired of letting the old lady drive the rig. she needs one of her own. I got her an 88 XJ limited that she fell in love with. She has $10,000 that she wants to dump in to this thing but she wants it to be a daily driver.
Her thoughts:
-ARB front bumper
-pre-runner style front fenders
-TJ rear flares-really cut-
-33-36 tires
-long arm
-daily driveabiliti...

What I want and what she is cool with:
-Clayton LA kit
-Front springs? (8")
-Front track bar?
-Rear springs? (8")
-C-rok bumpers, rockers, cage.(whenever they come out)
-Stock 4.0
-Stock trans
-Atlas 4.3
-HP D-44 front detroit
-FF D-60 rear detroit
- cut down? or full width? w/lots of backspacing
-36x14x16.5 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips
-USA 6X6 bouble bead locks (DOT approved)
-Warn 7" wide TJ flares/ or The Pre-runner style front flares with TJ rears

What it needs first
-engine

I do not know much about the uni-body thing, and have very little experience with cherokees so I am asking for help. what parts should i get to get this project on the rocks.:D:confused: :D

Last edited:
Don't do detroits front and rear if it's a DD, go with ARB or another selectable locker. C-ROK bumpers are cool, and they just came out, mine is coming Saturday. I agree with stiffening up the unibody first. Mine creaks a ton and I'm just starting to finally stiffen it up.

Detroits are fine for the front if you go with a D44.
It would have more than likely have manual hubs

Sell the Jeep and buy a 4-runner. :D

CRASH

Sell the Jeep and buy a 4-runner.

brutal
Ive got way more than $10k in mine :rolleyes:

but I see it as the end result, not the beginning vehicle
Of course I would never spend $45,000 on a work truck with leather and heated seats

Strengthen unibody - tennesee off road cage... weld in.. fits great.. me and a friend have one.. love em

HP 44 and FF60 - get em from a 79 f250 then use hummer beadlocks.. cheaper than the usa 6x6 junk ( i have ultimate reservations about daniel's competance and thats putting it nicely ) and the hummer beads are street friendly and legal.. only downside is the hubs stick out past the end of the rim.

i'd do an arb front detroit rear... will make offroad turning alot more fun.

if you decide to go with alloy shafts and ctms in the front axle dont use premium hubs.. get the normal ones so they are the fuse.

don't forget skidplating

i'm a huge fan of arb front bumpers and no one could sway me...

just my $.02

Thanks for all the input guys:D

Currently my wife drives a 1990 s-10 blazer with a d44 adn d60 on 38" SX's. Both ends have detroits, so she can drive it no problem. Her car got totaled by a drunk driver 7 months ago while it was parked outside our house, it saved the house. So she has been driving the blazer

I already have the axles I just dont know weather or not to have them cut down or just run severe backspacing.

I know people have had problems with USA 6X6 but I have not. (I do post on Pirate) I know Daniel is an asshat but I and two of the others I wheel with have had good luck and are happy with "his" products. And they are DOT approved :D

"dave Strengthen unibody - tennesee off road cage... weld in.. fits great.. me and a friend have one.. love em "
- I tried searching thier site and could not find any info on this cage, do you have any pictures or pricing info???

Cage Page

there ya have it... if you order right from them i believe its 450 with the grab handles and some gussets.. If you give marc at union county 4wd a call at 908 624 1119 he may be able to save you a few bucks.. he's in jersey too .

Back