• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XRC Tire Carrier Latch Issues

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have the XRC tire carrier for the Jeep XJ 97-01.

The double latch is giving me trouble. It seems that I can just wiggle the carrier and it will release. You also have to slam it pretty well to latch it completely. I've tried adjusting the arm and the latch, but no help. The striker is perfectly lined up with the latch.

I'm tempted to just ditch the double bear claw latch and get a fridge latch.

anyone have trouble like this?

No problems with mine after I ended up realizing the adjuster on the hinge tends to slip. So I drilled a hole and dropped a bolt in it to keep it in the spot that works.

If it's like a hair trigger your relay rod is too long or your latch is too high. There's a ton of adjustment in these things. I would put a slight bend in the rod from latch handle to the trimark latch. Will help a ton. FYI the latch cam and striker all need to be perfect. Pm me if you need help and I can walk you thru making it bulletproof. I'm running a 35 on mine for the past few years.

Back