• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody tow with their XJ?

Planetcat

NAXJA Forum User
I need some advice: I want to tow my boat with my XJ ('96, 4.0L, 4.5" RE lift, 32's, 4.10 gears, auto-trans). I'm going on a fishing trip in the Sierra's and want to wheel and fish. My boat and trailer weigh 3800 lbs. Probably will add another 1000 lbs of people and gear. Does anyone tow fairly heavy stuff in the mountains with their jeep? I'm within the GVWR rating and towing capacity, as per the jeep manual, but I'm worried about overheating or frying the tranny.

if you don't have one, get an external tranny cooler before the trip, and if you have to, drop it out of OD goin uphill.

I've managed to keep my 319K mile AW4 from frying by doing this.

I have boiled it over a few times though. if that happens, let 'er sit about 5 min, top it back off and keep goin, because it will.

I love my AW4s!!!!!

the last towin' trip was dollying an XJ, with my XJ (4.0L/aw4 319K miles, 3.55s and 33X12.50s) I added the stock external tranny cooler and NEVER had the tranny overheat since.

All I can tell you is get Electrical Brake Controller!!!!!! At that weight in the mountains where it might get wet I wouldn't want to try and stop without them........

I haven't towed much yet with the XJ (just couple test runs with the camping trailer which weights between 3500 and 4000) but the brakes make one hell of a difference.

Kejtar

What Ketchup-Jar said.....

IMHO, any trailer behind an XJ that weights more than a ton needs brakes. Electric, surge, whatever..... BUT GET THEM. It'll be a bad case of the tail wagging the dog otherwise.

I drive a stick, so can't help much with the trans except to say keep it cool.

I agree! Trailer brakes are a must, not an option. It's hard enough to stop your rig with oversized tires and then add 4,000 lbs. on top of that.
I also agree with the tranny cooler. I pulled a small atv trailer with my quad on it on flat ground and had the tranny boil over. Granted I'm on 35's w/4:56 gears but with that much rubber and a couple (2k) lbs. it takes it's toll on the tranny. Haven't had any problems since the tranny cooler was installed.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Yeah, I've got the factory towing package w/extra tranny cooler. I also have trailer brakes on my boat trailer, so I'm good there.

My 88 XJ owner's manual says you need the AUX trans cooler to tow anything over 2000 lbs. I installed the mopar aux cooler, it was more expensive but no re-inventing the wheel when it came to oil cooler line connection.

Also my manual says you can tow up to 3500 lbs with a ball hitch like most everyone has.

You can tow up to 5000 lbs if you have a weight distribution hitch. You should be able to get one at any place that sells hitches. I heard people say once they hook up the weight dist hitch the rear end of their XJ actually comes up.

There other stuff in the owner's manual about towing. Beside heavier gear lube in the rear differential they also recommend 15,000 mile trans/transfer/differential service for towing while it 30,000 miles for non-towing vehicles.

IF your boat is as heavy as it is then I'd get the electric/surge brakes AND a weight distribution hitch.

Thanks for trying-overheated anyways.

Thanks again for all the advice. Despite doing everything I could to prevent it from overheating, it boiled over as soon as I started going up the sierras. My buddy with his (gulp!) Silverado had to tow the boat the 15 miles up the hill to the lake. The XJ should tow the boat without problems. I don't know what to do next to eliminate this overheating problem on hills. I've boiled over about 6 times in the last 4 months going up to the mountains. It can't be good running the engine at 250* and letting it boil over.

I tow a double Jet Ski trailer with no problems. Stopping is weakened though and I need a 6" drop on the hitch.

5.5 RE lift, 31" MT KM's...........

Re: Thanks for trying-overheated anyways.

Planetcat said:
Despite doing everything I could to prevent it from overheating, it boiled over as soon as I started going up the sierras.

Can you hear the fan clutch engage? When I towed a 18' travel trailer with my MJ, going up Mt. Hood you could hear the fan start roaring and the electric fan click on. Outside air temp was 75-80' range and I didn't overheat with the factory two-row radiator and aux. tranny cooler. Some other thoughts: check the radiator cap pressure, coolant concentration, clean bugs, pine needles etc. from the front of the radiator (esp. in front of the mech. fan on the radiator itself), and make sure you don't have any plugged tubes in the radiator.

Back