• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering stabilzer shock

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Today I discovered the 30 year old (still good) steering stabilizer shock on my 87 Wagoneer had no bushings left on either side. Rubber bushings died in 30 years but not the SS shock, go figure. Now I need two bushings, or a new SS shock (gonna check Rock Auto). Pulled the old one off for now, drives and steers fine with out one, up to 35 mph even on a power hard turn, and no more rattles.

Makes me wonder if I really need one???

What are the dangers or issues if a DD use scraps the SS shock?

I drove without one for years. No issues.

I just replaced the one on my '87 that was toast. I noticed that some of wandering issue was either reduced or at least masked. IMO it was worth the price of the Monroe unit. Price of one from brand B or R, not so much.

As far as I've read around. Yes you can run without one(myself included) but the function of a SS has been to help reduce shock/wear on the steering joints and box. Nowadays people throw them on as a band aid to death wobble but the function originally was to help reduce wear on the steering box and joints.
As dan1977p said, you feel more road vibes, so does the steering.

Back