• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torx size for steering stabilizer?

88jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone else have a torx bolt for their steering stabilizer on the axle mount side and know the size? Every other post I see is a regular bolt head. Thanks in advance for the help.

What difference does it make, it doesn't unscrew anyway!

I did a quick search in my FSM and couldn't even find the stabilizer listed. I thought it was the same as the seatbelt. Was the biggest torx I had. Took some heat and PB blaster and I still broke the weld.
It doesn't really matter. It's useless and won't cause death wobble if that is why you are thinking of tightening it.

All I'm doing is replacing the steering stabilizer. Remove nut and bolt, slide the bolt through new steering stabilizer bushing and tighten it back up. The torx head on the bolt is much bigger than anything I have. Are we talking about the same bolt Dan?

Yes. Its the one that goes into the welded nut on the axle bracket on passenger side. It's exposed to the elements and gets rusty very easily. Throw some antiseize on it when putting it back in or remove the stabilizer entirely and not have to worry about it.

Gotcha, great thank you. So with the welded nut on the back I'm definitely going to need the torx bit. I'll start with trying to find the seatbelt size if they're the same size and go from there. Thanks again Dan.

Did you new stabilizer not come with new fasteners? I used heat and penetrating liquid on mine to get it loose. The one I removed and replaced it with both had hex heads. I agree with the anti-seize; be sure to use plenty.

A side note, I do think it makes a difference in how the steering feels with the stabilizer, then again my '96 is running stock p225 tires with a 2" lift (tire shop would not sell me 30's and needed tires that day).

Tom

No, the welded nut is welded in place. Its the bolt that goes through it that is torx. You can take a cutoff wheel or sawsall to the nut and pull the bolt out and replace it with a grade 8 standard bolt/nut and be done with it too. Or take your jeep to a local parts store that will let you walk out with a couple sizes and match it up in the parking lot. I get away with that here but we're a tiny hick town where everyone knows everyone and are all kin anyway.

Did you new stabilizer not come with new fasteners? I used heat and penetrating liquid on mine to get it loose. The one I removed and replaced it with both had hex heads. I agree with the anti-seize; be sure to use plenty.

A side note, I do think it makes a difference in how the steering feels with the stabilizer, then again my '96 is running stock p225 tires with a 2" lift (tire shop would not sell me 30's and needed tires that day).

Tom

It takes small road vibes out of the steering wheel. That's it. Helps cover up the what may eventually turn into death wobble too, if you like waiting until things get really bad to fix stuff.

Mine came with new hardware for the other side but I'm to re-use the stock bolt on the passenger side. The jeeps in the driveway until I certify otherwise I'd just drive it down to the parts store, they are fairly friendly and relaxed here as well.

Around here Ace Hardware has the best bolt and nut selection. Never had to remove a TORX from the steering stabilizer. I guess all mine never had them or were replaced with standard inch bolts. If you get a TORX driver set up to T55 or T60 you should be fine for everything on the XJ.

I think I'll be trying to find a replacement regular hex bolt once I get the torx bolt out. I've found an inexpensive but decent 8 pc torx set but it only goes up to T55. Guess I'll give it a try and hope I don't need the T60.

Confirmed T55. Hitting it with pb blaster until I can get to it as I'm sure it's rusted solid. Thanks for the help everyone.

For heat, I like to use the MAPP gas torches with the trigger on, so when you release the trigger the flame goes out. Better than propane.

Tom

Back