• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double sided trim tape removal

You try a heat gun and or goo off?

Carefull with the goof off... that stuff will take paint off sometimes... My Toolbox has never been the same.

Definately a place where the "test in an inconspicuous area before use" applies.

For removing the tape itself, dental floss does a good job. Use a 'sawing'
motion to cut the tape off the trim or body.

For removing the glue, Goop works, or acetone (but test it on an
inconspicuous place first).

I used a little bit of goop and a lot of friction with my gloved hands. It worked without damaging the paint but next time I plan on using a 3M eraser wheel.

Been doing the same on my door molding that I took off, am going to repaint with some Satin Black Krylon Fusion, and use 3M double sided tape to reapply. Bottom line. Just have to work at it. They came off the Jeep easy enough. If they are stuck on better then mine the dental floss or fishing line works. Just be careful because if you pull at the wrong angle you will dig in and cut the molding. I removed the excess off the Jeep with those plastic razor blades.

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NDP7702406/NDP7702406

As far as getting the residue off the Jeep itself an eraser wheel kinda worked but you have to be careful to not burn the paint. I also tried the Duplicolor Grease and Wax remover but that required a little elbow grease and I did haze my paint a bit. I ended up using WD-40 and soaking it and just working at it with my fingertips and the plastic razor blades. Not fun. As far as getting the double sided tape off the molding. Very carefully used a real razor blade to get the excess off. Picked at it a bit with the plastic ones. Eraser wheel worked but left eraser wheel residue on the molding. That could kind of be cleaned up with the Duplicolor stuff. But still have bits of residue on the molding. Right now using rubbing alcohol and the rough side of a dishwashing sponge to get off the last bit of the residue.
All in all not fun. As far as the repainting of the molding goes am going to scuff them up a bit, clean with the Duplicolor stuff, use some Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter, and paint with the Krylon mentioned above. Right or wrong that is how it is going to happen. If I had to do it over again think just use the plastic razor blades on the doors with the WD-40. The molding would be both the real and plastic razor blades with the alcohol and dishwashing sponge. As far as the painting goes have not done that yet so after I screw that up might come up with a better plan learning from my mistakes.

Last edited:
I used Goof Off and plenty of elbow grease. I sat on a bucket with my ear buds in on a Saturday morning for a couple hours. Didn't seem to hurt my paint, but I really don't care much as long as I don't get rust. The sides are scratched up from branches (etc) anyway.

Edit: oh ya! WEAR RUBBER GLOVES!!!! My fingers were torn up for a good week.

Last edited:
I use the best power washer I can find. It'll actually blast most of it off. Then some kind of goof of type stuff, 3m used to have a good adhesive remover, and a plastic razor blade.

What they said, go to a napa and ask for a rubber adhesive removal wheel. Chuck it in a drill and boom done. No paint damage and all the tape is gone.

Back