• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 vs 97 XJ pump

Francesco

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I have a WJ pump on my 1990 MJ. Long story short, reman parts suck and I've gone through ELEVEN dang pumps. I'm planning on getting a PSC, and it's listed for 97-06 Jeeps. What is entailed in making this fit for a 90 Renix?

bypass the in tank fuel pump with a piece of hose to the pickup.

install aftermarket not crappy external pump on the side of the frame rail.

done.
and when it craps out you don't have to drop the tank. I used an aeromotive pump with my fuel cell. Make sure it can do 50PSI and the regulator will handle the rest.

I'm assuming that you're not running the ballast resistor anymore. If you are, that may be why you're killing pumps. Get rid of it and run 12v straight to the pump. It will be noisier, but the pump will be happier.

I think "PSC" is the clue that he is talking about his power steering pump rather than his fuel pump. I think. I could be wrong.

:dunno:

derp.

at the very least you'll need all the new brackets.
the intake manifolds are different and it bolts to that too.

the renix belt tensioner and bracketry is all different.
you may be able to make it work by making a new pump bracket that's slotted for the renix adjuster and not have to change all that.

So I sourced a very cheap 1996 tensioner and intake manifold, will this be enough to make it fit? I realize I'll need a different size belt. I also have the 1097 XJ high pressure line, so no issue there.

Back