• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loss of Power 1997 XJ 4.0 AW4

rlandrum

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my XJ (Big Red) from a club member. It has 35s, a Rusty's 6.5 long arm kit, Bosch 4 hole injectors, and 4.56 gears.

When I first drove the XJ, it had plenty of power. I cruised home at almost 80 in some parts of the beltway, so I know it used to be capable of keeping up with traffic.

In order to pass inspection, I had to replace the exhaust from the header back.

After I first installed the new exhaust, my first trip out on the highway I blew the cat back off the front pipe. I figured I just didn't have the clamp tight enough. I didn't notice any issues accelerating or getting up to speed when it was (I assume) not connected. After I reconnected the exhaust in a parking lot, my XJ has no power to get it down the road. It struggles to get up past 3000 rpms, and when it does, it doesn't produce any torque to get me up hills.

My initial assumption was that I had cooked the tranny, with the exhaust heat blowing right under it. The XJ has 215000 miles, so the tranny wasn't 100% as it was. After an AW4 swap, the problem still remains, and seems worse (probably because the tranny isn't slipping as much).

Now that I know it isn't the tranny, I've started hunting for the cause. So far, I've checked fuel pressure (45psi), and manifold vacuum (20ish psi).

Since this was a brand new Dynomax 17340 exhaust and Magnaflow cat, and Walker front pipe, I hate to think that the issue is there, but that's where my investigations are leading me.

After googling, I'm wondering if I installed the exhaust backwards. There were no markings on it to indicate flow (at least none I saw, as I checked for that first). I have two conflicting diagrams from Dynomax, one showing the centered pipe as inlet, and one showing the offset pipe as inlet. I currently have the inlet pipe centered.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Your symptoms certainly match clogged exhaust.

Cant speak to the muffler flowing backward though.

How long did you drive with an "open" exhaust? Maybe the computer adapted to the open exhaust and hasn't readjusted for the reinstalled exhaust? Just a thought.

How long did you drive with an "open" exhaust? Maybe the computer adapted to the open exhaust and hasn't readjusted for the reinstalled exhaust? Just a thought.

Maybe 60 miles. However, I have a battery disconnect that I use when I park it because it likes to drain the battery when it sits.

MAP Sensor and TPS Sensors aren't throwing codes, so I doubt they're the culprit. And while I haven't checked the compression, low end torque seems fine.

I'm disconnecting the cat back tonight and checking it out.

Google says you have your muffler oriented properly...

085c0cf36d56fbfa10ba6550b338484d.jpg

So I finally got a weekend to work on the XJ. Between being sick and celebrating my daughters first birthday, it took a little longer than expected to get it disconnected.

Unfortunately, as soon as I got under there and started hammering the cat off the front pipe, I knew the cat was toast. It sounded like it was full of gravel.

That's a bit strange, since it's brand new and I've only put maybe 1200 miles on it. I also don't recall banging it on anything (at least nothing before it blew itself off my front pipe). So maybe the Magnaflow cat was just a dud from the factory.

After disconnect, runs great. No power issues. Thanks for the help with this. Now time to find a new cat.

1200 miles though? Did you wack it on something? like a hammer perhaps? or maybe blowing it off at speed... It is ceramic inside.

I blew the cat back off the front pipe.

Last edited:
Back