• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel filler neck

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Is there some sort of a check valve in the fuel filler neck on the XJ? I was working in the yard yesterday with my Jeep and was parked crosswise on about a 30* slope with the drivers side downhill.

I got out of the Jeep to move something and noticed that I had fuel running out the filler door. I opened it and saw it dripping out the filler cap (which I've determined has a bad o-ring). I opened the cap and fuel just started pouring out.

I had about 3/4 tank of gas in the Jeep when I was working in the yard.

I thought that there was something lower down that keep the fuel from backing up in to the filler neck. Perhaps I am wrong. I've been that off camber on trail rides before and never noticed any issues with fuel spillage.

Time to scrounge up $3.50 and get on Rockauto for a new gas cap!

As far as I know...there's is nothing keeping fuel from dripping/running out your tank other than the gas cap.

Second the Gas cap.

All that's in the filler neck is a valve, if you want to call it, for splash back when opening under pressure. I think that's what it's for. Doesn't do much except for keep a siphon hose out, even if it did there's a small vent that by passes all of this.
Walmart auto dept had some of these caps on clearance earlier in the year. I think the mopar has a pretty big interchange for what fits the XJ as well if you want oem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a new cap for $3.75 from Rock Auto. Not a big deal, but thought there was something else that was keeping fuel in.

The tank itself is very old school. Newer vehicles may have something to help with rollover, other than race cars I have seen anything like it in real life.

I'm glad it's just the cap and not a vent at the top of the tank or the hose from the filler to the tank. Both are a PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back